What's new

out to speakers and sub amp, can I attach another set of drivers to the amp out? (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I have the speaker out from my integrated amp directly attached to my mains, but I also use another set of cables from the speaker out of the integrated to the high level inputs of my sub's amp to feed it (I get higher dB's by connecting the sub this way instead of using the pre-outs).

My question is if I can use the high level outputs from the sub's amp to feed another set of drivers? (in particular some tweeters with its own crossover)

My main concern is that they are only 4 Ohm's. In case you wonder why do I want to do this is because I want to experiment by putting the tweeters on the back of my mains trying to replicate the sound of a dipole.

Im just experimenting, for the fun of it, but want to be sure I won't damage my amplifier :b

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm not 100% certain of my answer or if I understand what you are describing correctly, but I think the answer is no.

Doing that will essentially be hooking the new tweeter up in parallel with the speaker (the speaker level outputs on a plate amp are just the speaker level inputs sent back out but after being passed though a crappy high pass filter). So a 4ohm load in parallel with your 8ohm (I assume this is your Heresy). So unless you amp can handle a 2.5ohm load, I don't think it will work.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dustin, that's also what I think. But I need to be a 100% sure.

I would also like to consider alternatives to make it work, such as to introduce an additional resistor.

A

Anthony_Gomez

If it was an 8ohm tweeter you should be fine. Since the 4ohm drop will only be in the tweeter range, an 8ohm stable amp should be able to handle the 4 ohms if it s just in the tweeter (I could be wrong, so YMMV)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Introducing a resistor just burns more power across the resistor and reduces SPL output.

A

Anthony_Gomez

So does an L-pad :)
a single resistor is often used in series XO's instead of an L-Pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks