What's new

Pre-Order Our Dancing Daughters (1928) (Warner Archive Collection) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
As it's quite obscure I'll add my recommendation for a terrific lively entertainment with marvellous performances from Joan Crawford and Anita was a new experience to see a picture from the silent/sound transition, although Photoplay presented THE IRON MASK with it's sound prelude some years ago. In order to avoid cropping the full frame picture to add the soundtrack from original discs, with generous help from Dolby Laboratories it was added using Dolby Digital, (along the sprockets) and that has to be a record for the earliest film to use digital sound.
The 35mm print of Safety Last! I saw in the mid-2000s originating from the then-new UCLA restoration was printed full aperture with Carl Davis' orchestral score encoded on the Dolby Digital track.

Preordering this disc along with a few others in this wave. Looking forward to this!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Let's hear it for pedantry.....

Without looking up dates I'm sure that IRON MASK had the digital track first as it was my idea to suggest a method of preserving full frame that Kevin Brownlow hadn't thought of.

Sorry if research proves me wrong as it's not important, except this modern trick avoids all that frame cut off for which there was no alternative pre-Dolby Digital.

Here's another scrap of trivia: At least one of the annual C4 sponsored restorations/presentations was shown at London's old Sadlers Wells theatre. When the replacement new theatre was being planned the management needed to build up its proposed uses so asked Photoplay to promise to use it. The theatre was therefore designed with a projection booth large enough to fit the variable speed projector required.

IRON MASK was to be the first film shown but the hire company found that whereas the booth was suitable the corridor leading to it wasn't so the projector couldn't be installed and IRON MASK was back projected from the back of the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks