What's new

Pre-Order Our Dancing Daughters (1928) (Warner Archive Collection) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize-2.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Wow, the second blu-ray silent from WB! Praying for the extended Greed, Four Horsemen, The Wind, The Crowd or ANY other from this period. Would the Photoplay restored prints be acceptable HD masters?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Wow, the second blu-ray silent from WB! Praying for the extended Greed, Four Horsemen, The Wind, The Crowd or ANY other from this period. Would the Photoplay restored prints be acceptable HD masters?

I seem to recall Mr. Feltenstein mentioning in a previous podcast that if an HD Greed were to be released, it would be the 140-minute version released in 1924 rather than the 4-hour reconstruction from 1999.

Mark Alan Vieira

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Alan Vieira
This is a Major restorative effort.
Prayers are answered. And I believe you, because this has been one of the worst-looking transfers of a major film, silent or sound. The film itself is excellent, regardless of its star-making history. But that's not to diminish the extraordinary performance. As you may recall, I've printed vintage negatives from this film, always hoping to one day see it in nitrate, as I did The Temptress.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Prayers are answered. And I believe you, because this has been one of the worst-looking transfers of a major film, silent or sound. The film itself is excellent, regardless of its star-making history. But that's not to diminish the extraordinary performance. As you may recall, I've printed vintage negatives from this film, always hoping to one day see it in nitrate, as I did The Temptress.
Welcome to HTF, Mark!

For those unaware, Mr. Vieira is one of the most knowledgeable and talented gentleman in the Hollywood photographic arena.

His magnificent tomes, George Hurrell’s Hollywood and Harlow in Hollywood set standards for modern photographic publishing, and are well worth having in your library.

Treat him well, and he may stick around.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have never heard of this film, but it sounds quite interesting, like a real look at the flapper age (albeit as a cautionary tale). I wasn't too keen on the latest Archive announcement, but I will get this one.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have never heard of this film, but it sounds quite interesting, like a real look at the flapper age (albeit as a cautionary tale). I wasn't too keen on the latest Archive announcement, but I will get this one.
And there are two more films in the series, with the third, Our Blushing Brides (1931), being a Talkie.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
By coincidence I saw this film a few days ago on a disc loaned by a friend. It was copied from TCM and represented an exceedingly rough source so I look forward to buying this new issue.

As it's quite obscure I'll add my recommendation for a terrific lively entertainment with marvellous performances from Joan Crawford and Anita Page.

It was a new experience to see a picture from the silent/sound transition, although Photoplay presented THE IRON MASK with it's sound prelude some years ago. In order to avoid cropping the full frame picture to add the soundtrack from original discs, with generous help from Dolby Laboratories it was added using Dolby Digital, (along the sprockets) and that has to be a record for the earliest film to use digital sound.

OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS is remarkable for the skill and precision with which spot effects were added.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Years ago on my first trip to LA I was flipping through the paper one morning and saw that the silent film cinema(I don't remember its name nor do I know if it's still there) was that night going to be presenting Our Dancing Daughters. And Anita Page was going to be there. Now I didn't even know that Anita Page was still alive and I had fallen in love with her in Broadway Melody. It was one of those there is a God moments. So I went to see her as if to see the Roxy suddenly resurrected on 50th Steet and 7th Avenue.

The print wasn't very good but the film was still entertaining. And at the end when she spoke she didn't mention Joan Crawford once. She spoke as if she were the star of the film and her performance made it the sensation it was. Well that's interesting I thought. I got to speak to her a little at the end and of course did not bring up this bit of forgetfulness but it was still a thrill meeting someone who considering my interests might as well have been Juliet in the first performance of Romeo and Juliet.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
And can you believe she doesn't even get billing on the cover! This is a travesty.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I've still got the laser disc release of this film (which is pretty poor quality). I've already ordered my copy and am hoping for a much better print. Great movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks