Ordered used DVD from Amazon, got a bootleg, help!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ThomasC, Oct 21, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I ordered the Far From Heaven DVD used at Amazon Marketplace, got it prompted, ripped off the plastic wrap, opened the case, and I saw the All Region logo. This is my first, and hopefully my last. [​IMG] I'm writing an e-mail to the seller now to inform him/her that I received a bootleg, and that I would like a refund. Does this sound okay?

"Hello,

Thank you for shipping my order promptly. However, the copy I received is a bootleg. This is not acceptable, and I would like a refund. Your cooperation would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Thomas C-----"

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I made a post a few months ago about buying a bootleg off Ebay. I basically emailed the same thing to the seller and after a little bit of argueing ("you know what you were buying") he agreed to a refund. He followed through and I've learned my lesson.

Hopefully it goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Fortunately, this is what I got in return:

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Yes, as long as the packge is unopened; however, you will lose any ability to add extra services like signature confirmations -- just to make sure that he really receives it.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

When you're talking about the package, are you talking about the DVD or the envelope?

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> i did not notice it was not a legitamate copy

Yeah, that darn studio shipped me another bootleg. [​IMG]

I would notify Amazon as well.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Why don't you call the company that originally made the movie and describe your situation? They may send you a legitimate copy of the movie in exchange for the bootleg, then use it as evidence against Amazon's DVD piracy practices.

Hey! It may happen! [​IMG]

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Francois, I didn't buy the DVD from Amazon, I bought it used. There was absolutely no indication from the seller's description of the DVD that it might've been a bootleg, such as "playable in all regions" or whatnot, and he/she has a stellar feedback rating. So, either he/she is lucky that his/her customers are ignorant enough not to be able to tell the difference between a legit and bootleg copy, or it was one bad apple out of a thousand. If I get my refund back with no further problems, I'm not going to pursue this any further.

13. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

I had a similar experience on amazon used about two months ago, I notified the seller that it was a bootleg, he sent back a response that he had refunded the money and would I please send back the disc. I said sure, if you send me the money to send it, I know that the shipping price was also refunded, but why should I go out of my way for a guy that sent me a fraudulent item. He did post negative feedback on me, oh well. God, I hate bootlegers.

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

You've had better luck than I have. I've mostly gotten peopel who refuse to respond and occasionally someone who insists it isn't a bootleg.

15. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Well thereare legitimate R0 discs out there. Unfortunately, most big studio pictures are not. Sorry you got burned.

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Personally, I'd shell out to send it back, just you so you can get a signature indicating the package was received. Might as well play it safe. You might be out a couple bucks, but that would be worth it, were I in your shoes. Good luck!

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

18. Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry Stunt Coordinator

Thomas: "Return to sender" allows you to refuse packages or letters shipped via the US Postal Service. If you receive something you don't want, all you have to do is write "Refused - Return to sender" on the front and drop it back in your mailbox. It will then be sent back to the sender at no cost to you.

Of course the catch is that the package must be unopened. Clearly this won't work for your situation, but I wanted to clarify the procedure in case you need to use it in the future.

19. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

This happened to me. I'm glad to see it discussed here.

As soon as the guy sent me a refund check (after much e-haggling) and it cleared, I scribbled "NOT MGM DVD" on BOTH SIDES of the blamed phoney disc with a Sharpie and sent it back to him.

Neither amazon nor eBay have much protection from these guys. It's astounding what people will sell, and what people will buy.

Caveat emptor!

MC

20. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

What do you expect when buying dvds online. You read on this board that it happens all the time. Here is an idea, only shop at places you can actually hold the product in you hands.

I love the post about who sells bootlegs should go to jail. Thanks best laugh I`ve had all morning. I think there are some actual crimes being commited out there. Bottleging a movie ranks right up there with jwalking.