What's new

OPTOMA has no component in..Just RGB and S Video (1 Viewer)

Vijay

Agent
I have an Optoma EzPro 615H (True XGA 1,024 X 768 Resolution)
The problem is (well not a problem) but it has no component in, so I have it hooked to my DVD player by S-Video.
Now it does have RGB but my dvd player does not, would it make a big difference if I had component in? and used that or is there anything (reletively cost efficient) that can transfer the S-Video to RGB, I did see something on a website but that item was around 500.00 bucks.
or is this option not worth it.
Also would a progressive scan dvd player make a difference with this projector?
to know more about the projecter here is the link.
http://www.optomausa.com/public/ezpro_6xx.asp
Please advice.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Some projectors can take component video signals through the VGA port (my Sharp does this) and all you need is a VGA breakout cable (3 RCA -> VGA). If not you can get an Audio Authority transcoder ($180?) which will convert the component video to VGA RGB. Ask around AVS Forum (www.avsforum.com), lotsa guys there that can help you out with this.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Here's the transcoder:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/HomeTheater/9a62.htm
You'll probably notice much better deinterlacing with one of the new Faroudja based prog scan players through the transcoder (I certainly did when I hooked up my prog scan Panny RP-62 to my Sharp, compared to s-video in) but the signal will still be scaled to fit the native res of the projector and you may still get some artifacting there.
HTH

Vijay

Agent
Mark thanks for the idea I never thougt of that, but would it make a dramatic differenc, I running a custom 40' Monster S-Vidio cable that already cost me $160.00

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Optoma H55 which accepts component thru the VGA port. The pj came with a VGA -> component breakout cable. However, I don't see anything in the manual stating this ability on the 615H.

Todd Durham

Agent
ViJay,

I have a Panasonic 711XU projector that has the RGB or S-Vid inputs. I am running a component to RGB breakout cable from my DVD player. Works like a charm. I bought it from a2zcables.com under video cables and adapters. Stuff is good quality and won't break the bank. Good luck.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Even if the VGA input accepts component video you have to be sure it accepts the speed (scan rate) you are inputting. An ordinary DVD player component video is 480i, the progressive player (480p) output is the same as "regular" VGA at 60 Hz (fps). The super VGA 60 Hz is not quite the same as 720p HDTV.
If the VGA input accepts component video there will always be a manual selection somewhere, perhaps in a menu. If the scan rate is acceptable but this setting is wrong, the picture will still be intelligible enough for you go make the right setting.
A small number of DVD players output either RGB or component video, again with a manual selection.
Component video to RGB transcoders also have scan rate limitations, check before buying.
Data projectors that also accept composite and S-video tend not to have the best quality picture from those inputs. The device that converts S-video all the way to 480p 60Hz RGB you mentioned is probably a Silicon Image DVDO iScan, which does an excellent job although probably not as good as a progressive scan DVD player feeding a component to RGB transcoder. Don't bother with that unless you are finding fault with the picture you are getting with the S-video connection you are using now.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks