What's new

Opinions on the Technics SHAC-500d.. any owners out there still? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
What, if any is the "upgrade path for these type of preamps? Is there not a lot of difference with the decoding capability between this product than say other mid-price preamps as far as DD and dts decing goes? Just curious. Upgrade bug is biting the he$# outta me...

Keir H

Second Unit
Come on guys....anyone?? Or my gear is just that lame and outdated these days?? thanks anyway everyone.

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
How are you using the decoder, through a "DD ready" receiver? The obvious upgrade path would be a new reciever. :) Maybe a little more information would be good?
------------------
-JQJ

derek

Second Unit
I've been using my AC500 with my Marantz DD ready receiver for almost 3 years now. The unit works great for DD/DTS decoding. It's not as impressive in stereo mode I usually use the analog output of my dvd/cd player. I also have to manually switch for DD/DTS sources...I think later units autosensed the signal. But for the price/performance you can't beat it.
------------------
Derek
Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html

Keir H

Second Unit
My fault guys...I have it mated with a HK AVP1 THX pre that has no DD nor dts addon option. It's got great analog sound though and DSP. It's hard to give that up for nothing less than say a DC-1 or somthing along those lines. Just curious about decoder differences without having to change preamps all together.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Keir,
So what are you looking for? Personally I have an Onkyo ED-901 and Millenium 2.4.6 hooked through an old Onkyo TX-SV919THX receiver. I couldn't significantly top the sound quality for less than $2000. I could get something more "integrated" and maybe easeir to use but I's still be stuck with the ED901 for my LDs, and it wouldn't really sound better to my not very exacting ears.
I say stick with it and be happy.
Then again.... If you don't have a lot of video switching requirements and you're already using 5 channels of outboard amplification, the H/K Signature 2.0 can be had for $400 from J&R's.......
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 15, 2001 at 03:15 PM]

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
It is serving it's purpose as a preamp/processor until the Outlaw unit comes out. I have 7 Marantz MA700's and a parasound EX matrix decoder working inconjunction with the Tech unit. If interested, I'd sell it for $150. Let me know.
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks