What's new

Opinions on the built in amps on the Denon 1802 for 2 Channel Stereo (1 Viewer)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking of adding a 2 channel amp to my Receiver and just wanted to hear some opinions on this receivers built in amps. Would any external amp be an improvement? Im not looking for volume but sound quality improvements in two channel music.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Adding separates is a good idea. I have a Denon2802 and bought a Parasound2003(200x3) and a Parasound855(85x5). The difference was very noticeable with my older speakers. It added the perfect frontstage and the surrounds were seeing(125x5@4ohm) which just blends so perfectly. When my new Diva package rolls in I'll have to hook it up to just the receiver for a few weeks to see the audible difference. Generally the amps in a receiver have less power then stated until you get to the higher model brands. Even then I think the price comparison for the added THX is a tad to high. Besides it will put less strain on your receiver. I always loved the separate route this way you can buy the new "modes" for movies when different receivers hit the street at a minimal cost. Receivers come out every year but separates do not go through changes for quite some time. Power is power.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Joel. The two amps I'm really looking at are the Parasound HCA-750 2x75 or the HCA-1000 which is 125x2 and also THX certified. I'm running my mains in small so do you think the 750 would be enough or do you think I should step up to the 1000. Also, did adding the amp force you to redo your speaker placement? I went through a lot of trial and error and frustration before I found where I liked my speakers.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
If it were me I would buy the more powerful 1000 with the added THX. Speaker movement wasn't really that much of a problem for me. You will see a very noticeable increase in a wider sound-field if that helps. Remember it's better to overpower your speakers then under-power. If you want you could use a Parasound855(85x5)(costs 350 on ubid)and use 2 channels for your fronts(170X2) and the remaining channel for your center(85x1) This is assuming for course your mains are bi-ampable. Whatever your decision you should be very happy. :)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Joel,
I just went to UBid and they had it for $309. Why are the prices so low. Thats $200 below reliableaudio and there prices are way lower than retail around where I live. Are these older models? Or have I just been overpaying for everything:).
No my speakers arent bi-ampable. I probably just get a 2 channel Amp. I've read a lot of posts describing the Parasound as a warm sounding amp. Do you think it is? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Ubid is a authorized dealer that sells great parasound products. From time to time look for a 1500(205x2)it can be had at a steal. Right now I find it a little bit on the warm side, but some people state entirely different. It is great when you add a component and a wide range of things that were missed open up. I know now that I will not upgrade my separates for a LONG time...the other things...well let's just say my mind is not made up :)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again Joel, I was hoping you agreed that it was warm. My speakers are a little bright and dont mix well with bright components. I'm gonna keep my eye on U-Bid before I order from somewhere else. I cant beleive an authorized dealer has better prices than a non-authorized dealer. Thats pretty rare, but I'm definitely not complaining.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks