What's new

Opinions on Possible Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jason Higgins
So I really enjoy my home theater and doing little upgrades here and there over the years. My current 7.2 speaker system consists of all Polk Audio. A7 fronts, A6 center, A3 surrounds, and R15 rear surrounds. I have a Velodyne DPS 10" subwoofer and an infinity sub. The current receiver is a Yamaha RX-A800. My system sounds superb, but I'm thinking I can get a little more bang for the buck with my speakers by going to a bigger receiver. (Yamaha only!) I was looking at possibly the RX-A3020, or even the 3010 for a couple hundred less. With some of the research I've done, this receiver is leaps and bounds above my little 800 (which is the smallest of the RXA series). The amperage is quite a big higher then mine with a lower THD, and I would also like to try front presence (which I've been hearing good things about), which I can't do with my 800 without sacrificing my rear channels. At one point, I thought about getting an amplifier to simply get more power, but the price combined with good quality RCA's just didn't make sense when I could try a bigger receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The A800 still has a reasonable re-sale on the used market...unless you want to put 5.1 in the bedroom... Either of those big Yamaha are worthy contenders because you'll have more juice for the 20db peaks...which you'll need for 9.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks