What's new

onlyo 797 open box $699 worth it? (1 Viewer)

I was in my local Circuit City yesterday and noticed that they had this as an open box - I know there has been problems with the ticking in the rears and reading certain DD encoded movies. I don't really care about the few movies but I am concerenced about the ticking - any way to know if this particular receiver could be affected - date of mfg?

Or should I just buy a new one - I think I have seen that someone has gotten this receiver from J&R for 730 - shipped (can anyone confirm this - and if so - operator #).

Or should I spend the money on something else? I currently have definitive technology speakers (home theater pro monitor 100's and the powered sub that goes with this system). Thanks in Advance.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I think you could get one through a etailer brand new for that price. A few months back I brought a a set of Polk speakers brand new from another place for way less than the ones they were selling open box. The good thing about Circuit City is that they honor their open boxed items like new stocked items, with upgrades too. I'm once this thread gets going a lot of 797 owners can give you good places to shop with reasonable pricing.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't buy an open box for that much myself. I was at Brandsmart this last weekend and the 797 was $750 new. They said that the model was discontinued and that's why they lowered the price. Good Luck.

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
I just got the 797 in June and love it. I have had no audio drop outs with Pearl Harbor and no ticking from the speakers. I'm assuming I got one that was manufactured after the problems occurred. You might want to check out
www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com and see if they still have these. They are Onkyo authorized and used to sell these for under $750.00 if I remember correctly. It has been discontinued by Onkyo so I'm not sure how available these are now.
I also have Def. Tech speakers, BP2004TL's, CLR2002 and BP2X's and the sound is very clear and detailed when the volume is cranked with the 797. Good Luck.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks