What's new

Onkyo TXNR801 THX Select 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Jessie_

Grip
What's the difference from this THX receiver and a regular one with DOLBY DIGITAL,can you tell the difference sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
THX is processing added on top of DD/DTS, not instead of. The THX spec means it has processing as well as the amps are capable of delivering ref levels in a ~2000 CF room. My receiver is THX select, but I never use the processing because I don't like the way it sounds.

Christian M

Agent
I'm with John. THX merely extrapolates a 5.1 signal putting it into 7.1. I've messed with it on my 801 (set up for 7.1) and results have varied with different movies depending on the encoded track (DD/DTS). For some reason, and it may be my imagination, was that THX post-processing on a THX certified DVD yielded better results than a normal DD disc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
THX-EX processing will create 7.1, but regular THX posprocessing still has an affect on 5.1 material as 5.1. I don't use it in general, because it seems to roll the highs off a bit. I agree it varies from movie to movie, but rather than check each one, I just leave it off. :)

Jessie_

Grip
Thank's for the reply, i just wanted to know. Reason for is because i've hearded it in goodguys and it sound real crisp & clear. So is this receiver worth it or not. Or do i get a DENON, which one is better anyways i've heard different views from both ONKYO,and DENON.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks