What's new

Onkyo TX0-SR806 and the Wii "Problem" (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all

Last night I ordered the 806 online an am looking forward to getting it. I'm replacing my 604 Mainly to have Next Generation Audio Decoding.

I recently read about some problem this reciever has with the Wii using component cables. I've only heard it referred to the Wii problem, it was kind of vague. Does anyone know what this issue is they are talking about, and if so, what, if anything can be done? I do have a Wii and I do use component cables for it so I'm hoping this problem isn't too bad, whatever it is.

jakewash

Grip
Real Name
Jason L
The only thing I have found online for a Wii/Onkyo issue is if you are trying to send out the component IN through to the HDMI out on the avr to the TV, the picture cuts out, if you stay Component out then all is well.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Weird. I have a TX-SR606 and Wii Component-In/Onkyo HDMI-Out works without any problems. Is this issue specific to the 806?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the reply concerning this.

If that is the problem, it doesn't sound so bad. On my current receiver, the 604, I already have to have a Component cable going to the TV since that model doesn't upconvert all the way to HDMI so having to leave that cable just for the Wii is no big deal.

Heck honestly it'd probably be more trouble for me to remove the Component Cable from the back of my TV that it would be just to leave it.

One thing though, if I happen to plug anything else in that is lesser than Component, say Composite or S Video, does that mean it would only convert those up to component and not HDMI?

Ideally I'm fine with the Wii needing the component feed only to the TV, but everything else using HDMI. Currently everything else that I plug in IS HDMI, I'm just thinking ahead, like if I ever plug my camcorder into the front jacks of the Reciever, what would be upconverted to?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
My 606 will output everything via HDMI regardless of the source input. I'm sure the 806 does the same. Be warned that composite and S-Video look like pure crap when the receiver is set to upscale. It introduces some pretty interesting artifacts. I had tried doing it with my old SD DirecTV R15 DVR just before I upgraded my equipment to their HD DVRs.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I have the 604 myself so you got the better model, nice. Is the 606 still old school Audio? (No Next Gen like TrueHD, etc?)

I don't own a single item that uses S-Video, so wont be a problem for me luckily. Cable Box, BD Player, and Xbox 360 are all HDMI, and then the Wii will be component. I'll still see if mine will upconvert without issue to HDMI, but if not, I dont mind keeping a component cable ran from the Reciever to the TV. I'm already doing it now so no big change. Haha.

Do most people pass through signals to recievers to thier TV unaltered or do alot like to upconvert? I downloaded the Manual to get a headstart and it says that THX recommends to use Pass Through. So for example since the Wii is 480p, that is what's sent to the TV. Which in my case is a XBR4. I'm not even sure if my own TV has a built in scaler. I don't think it does. When I play Wii, it says the connection is 480p. When I watch TV, it's 720p. So I guess I don't have any upscaling on my TV huh?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
The 606 decodes the hi resolution formats (TrueHD, DD+, DTSHD-MA, etc.).

I've noticed that upscaling makes the Wii lok slightly "cleaner" at 1080i that passing through at 480p, but YMMV.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I just wanted to drop in real quick.

I got my 806 a few nights ago and absolutely love it. The connections, having all the Next Generation Audio finally, and the the THX modes are very nice. I use to always go for pure modes, like if a movie is in Dolby Digital, I would output as just that. But THX Cinema seems to really work well with soundtracks.

Anyway the reason i am posting is about the Wii Component to HDMI Out thing. I am very happy to report I do not seem to have this issue. My Wii is outputting fine to the TV Via HDMI. I don't know if I got lucky, or they fixed the issue or what, but it's nice.

I wanted to ask anyone that may know, for those who have had the Component in to HDMI out on the Wii issue, did it happen right away or over time? I'm thinking maybe I didn't get lucky and it just hasn't happened...YET. I'd like to take down the component cable since it's bundled in a group that goes along the wall and would like alot cleaner without it since it's the thickst cable in the bunch. But I don't want to do it prematurely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks