What's new

Onkyo TX-SR601 vs. Denon AVR - 1804 (1 Viewer)

Let me first just say, I think this forum is incredible. I have spent the past week researching, (while waiting for my membership to be okay'd by the mods)and learning about aspects of stereo components, and vocab I didn't even know existed. So thankyou to all of you who have gave input, and continue to do so. Anyway here is my question. Currently I own an Optimus 4x100 ProLogic reciever. This reciever has full-filled my needs until I couldn't hold out any longer and needed at least 5.1, DTS, and a respectable reciever. I'm in the market now to buy a new reciever and currently I have been looking at the Onkyo 601 and the Denon 1804. My roomate had an Onkyo, and I know the incredible sound which is produced through this brand, but I also know from "word of mouth" DENON is a respectable and has an incredible line of products. SO, by your senior opinions, which should I go with? Onkyo or the Denon reciever. Thanks again, and I will definately enjoy my stay with hometheaterforum.com :)

Thx || M. Cawcutt

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Although, this should be posted in the AMPs/RECEIVERs section... I will give you my recommendation. Go with the Onkyo TXSR601. I just purchsed mine about 3 weeks ago and think that it is an AMAZING receiver. I can't comment on the Denon, except it gets excellent WOM on here so I am sure it is also a great receiver. You can't really go wrong with either, but since I own the 601 I highly recommend it. It has a good amp section, excellent DAC's, a really good learning remote. It's hard to beat.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Michael. As Topher notes, you should post this sort of query in the appropriate hardware area. The Basics section is strictly for general discussion of home-theater essentials at the beginner level, not for specific recommendations about specific models of receivers.

Good luck on your selection.

JeffPhill

Agent
I too, was considering those two a little over a month ago. The onk has a learning remote, but the denon had a few more inputs and is a little more powerful (5 watts each channel). I was able to get the denon for $350 shipped from an auth. dealer (6thave) so I went that route. I have been happy with it so far. I'm sure both are very similar, I let the cost decide.

^^ Thankyou all for the replies! My apologies for replying in the incorrect forum, yes I should have been a little more cautious for the appropriate forums :)

Jeff :: Yes, I have noticed the Denon will carry an extra 5 watts for each channel. I have a pretty accurate ear for sound, but will I be able to tell the difference between the two if I hooked them up to a set of speakers(in the same room). I'm still shopping around on the net comparing prices, at the moment while I'm waiting for my student loan refund, I believe I will be going with the Onkyo 601.

Like I mentioned earlier I have an Optimus receiver and "back in the day" purchased an Optimus 5.1 speaker setup and separately purchased a 12" down-firing powered subwoofer(28 - 200mhz this sucker hits hard!!) I will be upgrading my speakers down the road, but keeping my subwoofer. I wish there was a way to listen to each receiver on my own speakers, to "test" out which one I would like. But still for now I think I will be going with the Onkyo 601.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wish you could listen too.. I definetly prefer the Denon on sound and build quality.

Either would be an excellent AVR for you.....

JeffPhill

Agent
I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in 5 watts. It really depends on how accurately they are rated. For example, the 90 watts I have now is much louder and clearer than the 100 watts my old Sony (non-es) did.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

There's no way you would hear the extra 5 watts of power. Also, keep in mind that these are just "paper ratings." What the receiver does in the real world is another thing.

However, both seem like great receivers. Buy the one that seems and sounds right for you.

SteveW

Agent
I was pretty set on the Onkyo TX-SR601. But after doing some reading the Denon AVR-1804 is now under consideration as well. I pulled both up on Crutchfield to compare them and the only differences besides size I came up with were:

Onkyo vs Denon

Stereo RMS Power (watts) 85 vs 90
Front Surround Power (watts x 3) 85 vs 90
Rear Surround Power (watts) 85 vs 90
Learning Remote Yes vs No
Video Soundfields 11 vs 9
Phono Input No vs 1 (a plus for me)
Audio Inputs 2 vs 3
Component Video Bandwidth 50MHz vs 30MHz
Optical Digital Inputs 3 vs 4
Main Speaker Output Pairs 1 vs 2
Main Speaker Terminals Posts vs Posts A/Clips B

Other than that pretty comparable models. I like the fact that the Denon has a Phono input as I still have a huge collection of vinyl. Just need to find a nice turntable. Of course price is a factor as well and I found the Denon at etronics for $364. I'll probably go out next weekend to a b/m retailer and demo both models.

I'm going to purchase the Onkyo 601. Gobuys.com has it listed for only 358.88 (BRAND NEW). Their customer reviews show 5 out of 5 stars across the board. So next week when my money comes :) I'll have a new receiver on my hands! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to get the 601 also. I'm going to do a few more weeks of research, but so far the 601 has come out to be the best "bang for the buck".

Personally I like the silver model. It's hard to find so it looks like I'll have to get if from Crutchfield. Right now they have it for $450 shipped. Not the best deal, but Crutchfield has a good name and that's the best price for the silver model.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I currently own the 601 and the remote is fantastic. I can totally control my HT with just that one remote. It was able to learn all of the functions of my Mits 42311 that I use on a regular basis as well as all of the functions of my DVD player. This way when my wife changes things with the TV remote that is by her side, I can counter her moves with the 601 remote that is at my side. Let the remote wars begin!

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
HAH! Thats great! I think the remote is terrific as well... I can finally ditch all 5 of my others and just use this one! While the remote isn't the best reason to purchase a receiver, it sure helped me out... because it was either this or a cheaper receiver and a learning remote because the wife was sick of all the remotes... had to do something to make it right with her!

BrianAe

Second Unit
I purchased the sr600 a year ago after comparing it to the Denon 1803. I found the units to be almost identical in sonics and features. I bought the Onkyo because the remote is much much better and I could get it for a little less. I think if you don't have a high end universal remote then the remote should be a major part of your decision.

^ ^ Brian : that's one exspensive remote !! HAH LOL jk, I ordered the 601 (black) today and it "should" be here by the end of the week! WHOOPIE :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Jim*H

Auditioning
Michael: glad to hear you made a decision - I am basically at the same price point, and strongly considering the 601.

Mind if I ask where you purchased it from? Thanks. :)

Hey Jim,

Well earlier this afternoon I read the thread about paying the extra cash and going to an authorized dealer and getting a receiver WITH a warranty. So I called GoBuys.com up this afternoon and thankfully it hasn't shipped yet. Which I was surprised since they promise to ship within 24 hours and this was yesterday that I placed the order. Anyway I got it canceled without any hassle. I'm going to go to CircuitCity where I will purchase the Onkyo 601 for only 470.00 /W a 2 year warranty. GoBuys.com had it for 358.00 but absolutely no warranty at all. 30 day defective return policy and 7-days non-defective. I'm going to front the cash and get it with a warranty.

Sean_Oz

Grip
I just bought the 601 a month ago. If you go here you can see the list of authorized etailers. I bought mine from bestpriceaudiovideo and I believe it was $399 shipped. Just trying to save you guys a little $$ while keeping the full warranty!!!

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks