What's new

Onkyo TX-SR503 video output question (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I was able to pick a factory refurb for a song, and figured it would be good enough to replace my old pre-HDTV Denon receiver without breaking the budget in my new (smaller) home theater. I don't even have the surrounds installed yet, but I was playing around with it just to get used to the settings and discovered something odd.

Since the Onkyo has only component video inputs and outputs, no HDMI, I've connected my Sony DVD changer and my cable company's Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR to it via component, and then connected the component out to my 56" JVC HD-ILA RPTV. As before, the TV automatically adjusts the aspect ratio between 4:3 material and 16:9 HD shows. But it no longer does with the input from the DVD player - which it did flawlessly when the player was connected directly to the TV. Since the whole point of updating the receiver was to use it as an audio video switch, this is unacceptable. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with the receiver? I haven't changed any settings on any of the other components, the Onkyo does not have an On-Screen display and the manual offers nothing useful. Any ideas? Or should I just bite the bullet and save up for a receiver that handles HDMI switching? (Assuming there is such a beast.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't normally condone bumping a thread, but I can't believe that nobody on this fourm has any comment on a problem like this with fairly popular receiver. Has anyone had a similar experience, or an experience that contradicts mine and indicates that there is something wrong with the receiver? I've sent a message to Onkyo via their website, but that's like dropping a pebble down a very deep well. It can be a long time before you hear a splash. :)

So, can anyone help?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:D

Joe

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting. I'm thinking of investing in a 703, so if this is a widespread problem with Onkyo machines, I'm bailing. I've also heard that trying to get through to Onkyo's customer support is practically suicidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks