What's new

Onkyo SR 600 & JBL NSP-1 Compatability? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

After much searching, I believe I have narrowed down my selection for my first home theater purchase. Thanks to Jason Spencer, I will be hopefully getting an Onkyo SR 600 for an excellent price. I would like to combine that with the JBL NSP-1, as they seem very highly rated as a entry level/budget set up. I currently live in an apt, so I am going to forgo the sub until next year when I try to get into a house.

As for my questions, they are:

1) The Onkyo mentions using 6 Ohm speakers, but I believe the JBL NSP-1 are 8 Ohm. What problems will/can this cause?

2) If the above setup will cause problems, are there other comparably priced speakers that someone can suggest?

If everything works out, my first setup should consist of the following:

Sony Wega 27'

Pioneer DV-440 (thanks to user's suggestions)

Onkyo SR600

JBL NSP-1

How is that for an entry level system? Any input is much appreciated as I've still got a lot to learn!

-Tim

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Tim, the Onkyo says it officially supports speakers with ohm ratings of 6 to 16. You should be fine.

cheers,

--tom

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend this combo. That's what I've got for my system and it cranks! It'll even have a fair amount of bass (nothing like a sub, but with everything set to large, it will sound pretty good, especially with normal music). I also have the N26's in the front, but they're not that much different than the N24s. It's a good starting place (and in my case pretty much an ending place for what I want out of HT) and there'll be plenty of power to run everything.

1) Thomas is correct, Onkyo lists it with both 8 ohm (80watts) and 6 ohm (105watts) speakers. You'll be fine with the 8's. Even if you had 6 ohm speakers, you wouldn't notice much different with the extra power (more watts doesn't directly relate to louder sound, IE 160watts is NOT twice as loud as 80 watts).

2) For the money, the N series (currently on closeout due to the new II series) is the best you can get. You may find something comperable by spending a lot more time looking for speakers, or just get them and give it a try. Check out your local BBuy and listen to the NII series if you want to see how they'll sound, it's pretty much the same as the old models, just more expensive... I actually listened to them before searching the net and really liked them in the store (even with the horrible setup room my BB has). Then I went on the net looking for reviews and found this site, and when I found so many happy owners, I knew I found my speakers.

Richard_s

Second Unit
You should have no problem. Also If I am correct the N24's that come with the NSP-1 are 6 ohm and the N-center is 8 ohm.
As for price there are deep discounts, as noted above, and many offer free shipping on the JBL products. I opted to not get the NSP-1 and purchased N26 (for mains), N-center, N24aw (same as N24 but off white and the AW is All Weather). Deliverd price $344 and that was a few weeks ago prices have come down some more.
Most Best Buys are clearance pricing all JBL "N" series, non Mark II (newest), models. Also if you can go off white N26aw's can be had on ebay for around $70 a pair right now. www.jandr.com NSP-1 delivered $249.88.
Good luck I love my JBL set-up I ended up getting the Yamaha HTR-5550.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much for all the feedback...
Jason, you have been a saving grace the past few days! I guess I'm all set in my equipment, just have to go get it =)
I will be visiting my local B.B when I go to get my reciever this weekend (they are right across the street from each other :D ). I wonder if I can find the NSP-1's on sale there? If not, guess I'll try JandR.com. They have them for $249.99 shipped, which seems like a good price - unless anyone knows where I can get them cheaper?
-Tim

Just received mine yesterday from J&R. They were the best price that I could find...free shipping also. :emoji_thumbsup:
Now all I need is to pick which new receiver to plug them into...797 or 700 :confused:
Jason,
Do you have the JBL stands for your N26's mains? If so, would the N24's fit ok? The future holds N26 mains, like your setup.
Thanks.
Steve

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have the JBL stands for your N26's mains? If so, would the N24's fit ok?
No, I ended up getting the Sanus 24" stands from Bbuy for about $40 after amex pricematch (about $25 off). They look good and hold the 26's great. The JBL stands are like $100, and I don't think they'll hold the 26's. They're like twice the size. They do have several screw holes (1 on the bottom and 4 on the back) to mount them. I was going to mount them to a board and connect that to my ent center, but decided to get the stands...

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Now all I need is to pick which new receiver to plug them into...797 or 700
The 797 looks nice. But I'd have to ask myself if it will really give twice the sound quality of the 600 for twice the price...THX certified is good, but that good?

Now the 700, if you were interested in true video switching (the 600 doesn't combine component into svideo outputs) and the other minor improvements, I'd say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks