What's new

Onkyo OR Denon?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy an A/V receiver, I am not an expert thats why i need your help, which receiver you would recommend Onkyo TX-DS595 or denon AVR 1802? I wuz buying Onkyo Sr-600 before but I read lotta negative responses bout that receiver. so now I have to choose one of above. or any other brand you recommend with that price range.

P.S I need Pro logic 2(watches lotta TV)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
bump for you, as I'll be looking in the same range towards the end of summer. I'd like to hear what people say.

with its new feature set and the price point ($399) the Onkyo 600 should easily trump the denon 1802.

Not only does it have more features and cost less, it also has an infinitely better remote.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
matthew, good point!
with all the little problems that I've had with both of late, I'm inclined to go with Yamaha

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
How many owners have you heard complain about the power of the SR600. One. This is not personal against the person who had trouble with his SR600, I have just had a different experience. I have an SR600 and it perfectly meets my needs. I have fairly inefficient speakers (87 db watt meter). The Onkyo 600 easily drives them to reference levels. I have a subwoofer. I have a subwoofer. This takes a significant strain off of the amp. I like the sound and the power. The feature set cannot be beat for the price. Try one with a 30 day return policy. If you don't like it, return it.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Hey, I wasn't thinking of a certin thread. I feel when buying anything with an amp, you should care about the amp! Not just the pretty lights.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
about Sr600, its not one user who is complaining, if you go to any audio forum, you will find atleast two, three ppl who are complaining about it, and due to one user it clipped his B&W speakers, and he called onkyo and they acknowledge that this onkyo has drob wattage problem. And on the other hand there are lotta ppl who are recommending this set, I am totally confused, and for the 595, I am looking for a used one. or I will go for denon otherwise.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you say only one person is complaining about the Onkyo. BUT, now that we have an idea of it's performance (regardless of how great your experiences with the Onkyo are going), we still are hesitant to buy it.

If you were about the buy the Onkyo, and you heard that it is possibly 30X5, would you have still bought it? Or would you have given another brand another look? I'm glad most people are having great experiences with their Onkyo 600, and I'm sure I would too. But...I still keep thinking in the back of my head that maybe I should look at HK and Denon.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Whats wrong with a Marantz receiver? Every single Marantz owner here is completely satisfied with theirs. I just bought a SR5200 and I love mine. Marantz are excellent receivers especially if you like to listen to music. You should also look at Marantz along with Denon and Onkyo.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
do Marantz make pro logic 2 model(with DD 5.1 and DTS ofcourse)? if yes, can someone tell me which model number in the price range?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have the Marantz SR 5200 which has Prologic 2, DD and DTS and I got it for $399 off of Accessories for less. They are the only authorized online dealer of Marantz products. Their website is www.ac4l.com. The sell refurbished receivers, but there is nothing wrong with them what-so-ever, and they all come with a 1 year warranty. I am really happy with my Marantz. You can check out the specs from www.marantz.com.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Kevin,

Is there any reason you're not considering the Yamaha RX-Vx30 models? The 530 or the 630 would be a good option. I find the lower end Yammies sound better then the lower end Denon's. Yamaha makes a very reliable product with good features. It's worth considering.

- Mike

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
If I recall, it's not just the SR600 that has issues with underrated power. The previous lower and mid-level line (595, 696) also suffered when all channels were driven. However, if you look up the reviews on those models, they are showered with compliments and praise. No one really complained about the lack of power. So, even though I agree that the power ratings shouldn't be overstated, how come no one made such a fuss about the previous models? :confused:

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Denial. Overcompensation. Wattage envy. Take your pick. I still say the great question that's asked is 'would you buy your XXXX today if you knew it was 30Wx5?' Not a knock on the happy owners of all these various receivers which are proven to be watt-lite. But people...we have guys on this board crowing about how low the price on this thing is at XXXX website and raving about all the features and decoding modes. Where do folks think all this largesse comes from? There is no free lunch...unless you live in S.F.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks