What's new

Onkyo Late Night (1 Viewer)

Brad Cr

Auditioning
Has anyone used the "Late Night" feature on the Onkyo? Does it work? This feature would be a great for me as i find myself turning volume up for dialog and down for action late at night. Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Try it and see if you like it. It's just dynamic range compression, and does exactly what you want it to, for DD tracks. I wouldn't use it other than late at night when you want to keep the volume low, but it's a great feature when you need to do that.

BrianAe

Second Unit
It's funny that you mention this Brad because I was just going to post how much I like it! Do note though that it only works for Dolby Digital.

I use the "low" compression option and it works wonderfully. It's funny because I think it produces different and better results than most people realize.

In most recent mixes that I've watched/heard its the music which is way load, drowning out not just the dialog at times but also the ambiance effects (including surround affects). If I had to summarize the affect of late night mode it would be that it makes dialog and ambience affects like rain and birds chirping loader compared to the score.

I think this can enhance certain dialog based movies, even during times when keeping things quite isn't an issue. I'll give two scenarios:

First is when the music is just way too load period.

Second is when movies have really well done ambiance affects like birds chirping, crowds roaring, rain, etc. The night time mode will actually accentuate these affects by toning down the score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks