What's new

Onkyo HT-S650 or Kenwood HTB-505? (1 Viewer)

I have been looking at the Onkyo HT-S650 and the Kenwood HTB-505. Which is better? Kenwood has foward-firing 100 Watt powered subwoofer, but the Onkyo has a down-firing 150 Watt powered sub. Does forward sound better than downward firing? Please let me know which system is better, and if you know of a better home-theater-in-a-box under around 600 dollars, let me know. Thank you.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Most people seem to like the Onkyo better, though the Kenwood 50x series was a favorite for quite a long time. The direction the sub fires isn't anything to concern yourself with.

I would go with the Onkyo based on what I've heard from other people the last few months. Neither companies are exactally known for their speakers. But Onkyo defiantley has a leg up on Kenwood on the receiver end (I've owned a Kenwood before, and a good friend owns an Onkyo so I'm not just basing this on what I've read, in this case.)

I'm sure you would end up being pleased with either one, as an entry level system.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I am glad I asked this question when I started out. The Onkyo was not a player at the time and might not be next week. At this time the Onkyo 650 has the most going for it and you will be very surprised at just how much this system can put out. IMO the 505 comes in a close second now:angry: . I started with the Ken 504, which was the prevailing winner at the time. That being said the 505 can be had at a cheaper price and the 650 is on sale allot for $500. You might want to upgrade the sub first when you start spending more money and you will:D .

Iver

Second Unit
Denon sells HTIB's. A friend of mine just got a DHT-682XP (AVR-682, i.e. AVR-1602, surround speakers, small powered sub) open-box for $440. That's not bad considering that you get a real Denon receiver which usually sells for its list price of $400.

As for the Onkyo and the Kenwood, let your ears be your guide.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
There is a link here that might answer some of your questions. But like Iver said, let your ears be the judge (although I doubt that either system will sound remotely the same in the store as it will once it comes to your house. :)

David Dhaus

Agent
I'm one who really likes the Onkyo - of course, I'm also one who bought it so I confess I may be biased. My bias comes from having listened to numerous systems in the stores. The difficulty with that comparison is even the best system can sound mediocre or worse depending on the in store set up. Still, every other HTIB sounded weak in the bass, and/or tinny or little midrange, etc, - in the store. The Onkyo sounded very good all around. At home it sounds even better than in the store. You really do have to listen for yourself. Had I gone with the advice then prevalent on this board, I would have bought the Kenwood 505. I'm glad I listened to them and then chose. You may decide your ears like the Kenwood best.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The 650 has been the winner for the last six months or so and the in store demos as a rule do not have any perimeters and the stock wire which adds up to a bad demo. That 705 that Ken came out with looks like a looser to me to. They went and put the sub amp in the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks