Why is the Onkyo ht-s650 better than the Kenwood HTB-505. Features or sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckM, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Ok, here's the deal I got $400 and I limited my search for an HTS to the Kenwood HTB-505. Then I hear about the Onkyo ht-s650, which from what I hear is greatly superior to the Kenwood HTB-505. Is it really worth saving another $150 to get HT-s650 and if so why? Is the sound superior (with supplied speakers) or is it the features? Also, I would like to know is it a better deal to buy a refurbished Onkyo ht-s650? If so what is the lifespan of a new system vs. a refurbished sytem?

2. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo uses better quality for their speakers from what I've read. The Kenwood uses paper cone drivers and the Onkyo uses higher quality materials. Other then that I am not sure.

3. MichaelJK

MichaelJK Auditioning

As far as features they are very close. The Onkyo system does comes with a 150 watt powered sub compared to Kenwood's 100 watt. The overall difference is quality of build and materials which leads to a much better sound coming from the Onkyo system. Plus nothing could beat the $450 price tag I got on it [​IMG]

4. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

You really need to listen to each system for yourself. I was set on the 505, until, like you, I read about the Onkyo. I was able to listen to both. The 505 sounded very weak overall. The bass was almost non-existent and the midrange and highs were almost muffled. I wondered if I shouldn't save up for $1000 and get separates. Then I heard the 650. The active 150W sub really kicks in and the midrange and highs are clear. I really liked the 650 whereas I was willing to do without rather than get the 505. That being said, another poster here has complained that the center channel on the 650 sounded muffled to her ears and she returned the system to get separates. I am really happy with the 650 and have invited neighbors and friends over many times - they can't believe I only spent $450 on it. You really need to listen to both systems yourself and then decide.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have the same speaker set and have absolutely no issues with the sound quality of the center channel. I have the same speaker set that comes with the HT-650 (SKSHT-500 set) and although they don't compare with specialty speakers that cost 3/4 times as much, I think they are definitely a bargain at the $250ish price they're usually found for. A link to a review of the speaker set @ cnet.com is below.
    http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=rating