Which model could support an equalizer.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckM, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I've been struggling on the issue of buying the kenwood htb-505 and the onkyo ht-s650. so anyway can either of these use an equalizer.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

And you want an equalizer because???

I'm assuming you are talking about wanting a equalizer for 2 channel music.

You have 2 ways to hook up an equalizer:

- Feed analog signals from a DVD player to the equalizer. Then from the equalizer to the receiver for amplification. Almost all receivers have analog L/R inputs that will let you do this.

- Feed Digital signals to the receiver. The receiver will decode the digital into analog. If the receiver has L/R analog outputs (line-level/pre-out), you must then feed these signals into the equalizer, then from the equalizer into ANOTHER receiver or amp to add power to drive the speakers.

This works for 2-channel music. But wont work for 6 channels of a movie system.

My advice: make sure your SOURCE (CD/DVD player) has L/R analog outputs. Use the hookup described above to feed ANALOG to the equalizer, then feed the "CD/VCR/AUX" input on the receiver with these signals.

In addition, run digital to the "DVD" input on the receivers. Use the "CD/VCR/AUX" when you listen to music (and the equalizer is working), but use "DVD" to listen to movies (but the equalizer wont be part of things).

Does this help?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Delete - Bob beat me to it. [​IMG]

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wouldn't he simply hook up the eq to the tape monitor input?

or are we talking about two different kinds of eq's?

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Most late-model receivers don’t have a traditional tape monitor loop – i.e., one that can be manually engaged. This would be a necessity if an equalizer was going to be connected to a tape loop.

This is probably because of DVDs in general and Dolby Digital in particular. Namely, if a tape monitor is engaged, the receiver will default to Dolby Pro-Logic mode.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt