Kenwood htb-505 v. Onkyo ht-s650: Now or Later

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckM, Feb 19, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I've been debating to get either the Kenwood or the Onkyo. People have made it clear that the Onkyo ht-s650 is better but my dilema is that I currently have enough money to by the kenwood ($330 /w shipping) and I don't know if I should wait and buy the Onkyo ($500) (I currently don't have a job so it would be about 6 wks) Is their really that much difference. Please give some input.
    TIA!!!

2. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

onkyo had the hts650 for $330 a few months ago factory reconditioned. i got one and it works like new. just wait a few weeks and they might get them back in stock. hope this helps.

3. Tom Heim

Tom Heim Auditioning

Chuck, Here is another option I have just bought a Pioneer vsx d811 which is a NICE receiver it can be had from 6ave.com for about $280 delivered and I went with the Acoustic Research HC4 speaker package which should arrive tomorrow from Vann's.com $229 w/ free shipping

That comes to about the same price as the hts 650 but in my opinion you are getting as nice of a receiver with more features (DTS ES, Neo 6 Dolby EX ect)

If you like the Onkyo Speakers you can buy them seperate
    I guess what I am saying is if you mix and match it seems you can get more bang for your buck

4. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Agent

Hi Chuck,

I was in your shoes about 2 days ago. I was all set to pick up the onkyo system. Until I hopped on here to do some research on it. Thats when I found out about the problem the receiver has producing LFE in mode 3. What I did instead was to buy just the speakers ($269 at CircuitCity), and then I bought the Yamaha HTR-5540 receiver ($249 at best buy). Its about the same price as the 650. Last night I played "Top Gun" and I had a big grin from ear to ear...sorta like this [​IMG] I never did find out if they found a solution to problems of the Onkyo receiver. I would suggest getting just the speakers and looking online for another receiver.

5. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

what does LFE in mode 3 mean?

6. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Agent

7. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

but just juding between the kenwood now or onkyo later what is the better choice.

8. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Also can the rear speakers on the onkyo be mounted on the wall.

9. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

I would say go with the Onkyo, the Onkyo has better built speakers. I wouldn't worry too much about the LFE problem. If you aren't satisfied return it. I have the same reciever that comes with it and don't notice anything wrong.

10. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Agent

Yeah, I would go with Onkyo. As I said earlier, I have the speaker system and I absolutely love it. And yes the rears do mount on the wall. I had to go to radioshack and by speaker mounts. They weigh about 4.5 pounds each. And they go up very easily. Hope this helps.

11. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys Onkyo it is, or maybe a combination of the speakers and a diffrent receiver.