What's new

Onkyo DV-SP800 universal player posted on Crutchfield's web site. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield posted the Onkyo DV-SP800 universal player on its web site today. They are taking pre-orders for $1000, and the web site says it will be in stock on October 25th. Here is the link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VSP800&o=m&a=0
It looks like a nice component. It has gold-plated outputs and loads of outputs, in typical Onkyo fashion. Also, it has a detachable power cord.
I am wondering if Crutchfield is showing the correct remote. The one shown looks nice, but it seems to be lacking key features. Crutchfield claims the remote is backlit, but I see no "light" button. Perhaps it lights up whenever you press a button. Also, I see no "Group" button to facilitate selection of stereo or multi-channel tracks on certain DVD-Audio discs without using a TV. Furthermore, I see no SACD/CD or multi-channel/two-channel buttons for SACD. Perhaps you can only make those changes via an on-screen menu. The remote shown does have a video off button, so maybe it is the 'SP800 remote. I hope not since it is missing some key buttons.

Annette F

Auditioning
Thanks for the heads up! For those of us in the market for universal DVD, SACD, and DVD-Audio, there is more for us to sort out. I would like to compare this unit with the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai. Additional competition is coming this month from Yamaha. My local dealer is taking preorders on that unit as well. The Onkyo's upscale cousin, the Integra DPS 8.3 will not be far behind. I heard that that will list about $1200? Now what. I was planning to buy the Pioneer Elite, and still may, but it will be interesting to see if there are any advantages worth waiting for. The Onkyo can bypass the video circuitry for audio use- that may mean better music.

Annette

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Annette, I am not in the market for a universal player, but I am interested to see reviews on the Integra component down the road. It is nice to see a variety of universal players to choose from.

You said:

The Onkyo can bypass the video circuitry for audio use- that may mean better music.
That is a standard feature on DVD-Audio and DVD-capable SACD players, so it doesn't set the Onkyo unit apart.

Annette F

Auditioning
Keith,

As far as bypassing video circuits, which we know the Onkyo can do: the reason why I think there may be a difference is that in the SGHT review of the Pioneer Elite DV-47A June 2002 they said:

"(the pioneer elite) does NOT offer a feature common to many "universal" players: a front-panel button that cuts the video circuits oiut of the signal path when playing audio-only discs. I've never found this option to make an audible difference, but some potential buyers may miss it."

Are they wrong? Does it do it automatically or though another function? Should I care?

I'm looking for ways to differentiate these products.

Annette

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Annette, I have not read that review of the '47A, and I have not used it extensively. Still, I have not yet come across a DVD-Audio or DVD-capable SACD player that does not have the video-off feature. Most players have a "video off" button on the remote. Perhaps the '47A allows you to turn off the video circuitry via an on-screen menu. I seem to recall reading that you have to go to an on-screen menu with the '47A to switch between CD and SACD layers and between stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. I find on-screen menus to be cumbersome, but that's better than the features not being there at all.
I use the video-off feature on my Technics DVD-A10 player most of the time, but honestly, I have not detected a difference in the sound with the video circuitry disengaged. Perhaps my system is not resolving enough. :crazy:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The light-weight, but cost-effective 45a has "video off" capability. So even if the 47a doesn't have it, I bet the 47ai does...

Stupid question time: seems like there are a fair amount of differences between the 47a and the 47ai. (Bass management, DACs, the "i", "video off" assuming it's there.) I personally can't fathom why they didn't change the model number to reflect the changes, i.e., 49a or 49ai...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I never understand what companies are thinking with model numbers. Look at Sony with its ES line. Look at how many components have had 333 or 555 in the model number. It's ridiculous. One of my favorites with Sony is this one:
First,
SCD-555ES: single-disc stereo SACD player for overseas markets
SCD-C333ES: stereo SACD changer for North America
Then,
SCD-XA333ES: single-disc multi-channel SACD player for overseas markets
SCD-C555ES: multi-channel SACD changer for North America
:rolleyes
Also consider this one from Pioneer:
In Europe, the DV-656A is a £400 universal player (interlaced DVD-Video with SACD and DVD-Audio). In North America, the DV-656A is a $200 USD progressive-scan DVD-Audio player (no SACD).
:rolleyes

Annette F

Auditioning
Keith and Kevin,

Thanks for the info about video off. With all Bryston electonics and KEF speakers my system is very resolving so I need to be sure. Now I'm running out of excuses not to go out and pick one up.

Good points also about the differences between 47A and 47Ai. Pioneer seems to be selling themselves short with only the "i" added. The dealers I speak with are unaware of any differences besides firewire.

Go figure.

Annette

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Annette, if you do get the Onkyo universal player, I would be curious to hear if the video-off feature makes a difference in your system. I consider my stereo system to be rather revealing (NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with NAD C 270 power amp and Totem Arro speakers), and the video-off feature makes no difference. Oh well. I like how everything sounds. That's the most important thing. :)

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer 47Ai has video off button on the front panel to switch off video circuits.

The 47Ai has fire wire ports, Burr Brown Dacs, Noise- Shaped Video (NSV), and is 2 lbs heavier. It has a much improved GUI than 47A.

the 47Ai has done away with setting the video system (PAL or NTSC) and it also doesn't have the bookmarking feature.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sach, is there a video-off button on the '47Ai remote? Regardless, it is evident that Pioneer made a few key upgrades in going from the '47A to the '47Ai. However, it is too bad that Pioneer dropped the bookmarking feature. I like that on my Sony player.

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
You are right Keith; I also liked that bookmarking feature.
The video off button is NOT on the remote; its only on the front panel.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sach, thanks for the info. One final question about the '47Ai. Can you utilize the video-off feature with the remote through an on-screen menu?

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

the video off feature (button) is only on the front panel and there is no menu to change it through OSD.
let me know if you need more info.

Annette F

Auditioning
Well, I didn't end up waiting to compare. I ordered the 47Ai today. Thanks for everyone's input. Again, no mention of any of these features/ differences anywhere else!

Annette

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Annette, let us know how you like the '47Ai. It's too bad you didn't wait for the Onkyo player since Crutchfield's web site still says it will be available on Friday (10/25). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks