What's new

Onkyo DV-SP800 universal player posted on Crutchfield's web site. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I posted this a few weeks ago and thought it might be beneficial to some of you who are undecided.

Jeff

I have been using this unit for 5-6 weeks now and thought people might be interested in my opinions, with no offical reviews in yet.

Picture quality-4/5 I am using a Tosh 57hx81 ISF calibrated, AQ YIQ1 component cables , progressive scan mode and avia re-calibration with the onkyo(very different settings esp C/H)and think the picture quality is excellent but not as good as my old Rp91 which broke. I had my Tv ISF'd with the panasonic so I question whether or not I need to have it re-calibrated(any ideas?) The picture is faultless , it just doesn't have that snap for lack of a better word. Picture is much better than the pioneer 47 A I tried out initially, an had to return secondary to a "lifeless picture" I don't mean to knock the unit but compared to the RP91 it was a huge step backwards.

DVD Audio 4/5- I am using an anthem av20 v2 and a carver av705x through kimber pbj interconnects and AQ type 4 speaker cable to Paradigm studio 100's, Studio CC and Studio ADP's. The sound quality is very good with smooth highs, the vocals on the panasonic were a little more forward or up front which I liked better(especially on FM rumours silver springs), but sound stage width and coherence is better on the onkyo(analog direct on the anthem). The anthem digitizes the 5.1 input and using the dsp delay and bass management, the onkyo is significantly better. Significantly better than the pioneer 47A(not the AI with the burr browns, I havent heard the AI)

SACD- 4/5- My first experience with SACD was with the sony 999ES, and with its digital domain bass management and delay settings, it was significantly better than the onkyo, especial in terms of the size and depth of presentation. The onkyo is otherwise and excellent sacd player, with smooth highs and deep bass. the steve Earle 2 channel sacd has a huge soundstage with excellent imaging and deep bass. Miles' silent way sounds fantastic, better after it is digitized to my surprise.

Remote-1/5 it is terrible, luckily i have a pronto, but have not added the onkyo so I am using the stock remote. I am not a complainer by nature, but this remote sucks. The navigation joystick/pad it awful, it is very difficult to navigate menus, you always click when you don't want to.

Fit and Finish 3.5/5- too many blue lights that wont turn off
otherwise a good looking and sturdy unit.

Overall I am very happy with this unit, I really wanted a combo player. the RP91 was better at the video, but the sound quality of the onkyo is very close to reference. Any questions just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks