What's new

One for All Universal Remote Options (1 Viewer)

Dave Weisbord

Auditioning
I have seen plenty of good reviews for the One for All Cinema 7IQ (7800) remote and for the cheap price it doesn't seem like I can go wrong. However, I have the opportunity to purchase the more advanced 9800 or 8800, also for a pretty cheap price. Are either worth getting or should I stick with the 7800?
For that matter, any other inexpensive options out there worth checking out? I've also looked at the Sony RM-VL900 and VL700.
I've have heard some negative thoughts about the new Radio Shacks, so I may stay away from them.
Opinions?
Dave

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have an old non-learning Producer8. It is absolutely wonderful. I tried to replace it with a Marantz RC2000 Mk II once but the OFA was a better unit IMO. It's starting to wear out now after a couple years' use. If it dies I'm replacing it with an identical unit.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Dave: I've decided that THE right remote for everyone is very much a personal thing. Backlit or not, touchscreen or not, lots of macros or not, and on and on. (I have learned that I don't like touchscreens. I'm a system tweaker and the touchscreens need WAY too many button/page pushes.) I have experience with several different models out there. Unfortunately, a Producer 8 is not one of them...
In one of my own systems, I'm currently using a Cinema 7 IQ. (I'm using a Marantz RC-2000 Mk II in the other.) The little One-For-All is just nothing short of amazing! It has all of the keys I need/want. It is easy to hold in you hand and best of all, it's $25 US. It's ability to use advanced or discrete codes is a HUGE benefit. You may even be able to generate usable codes that aren't on your original remote. IMO, it's only short coming is that it's not backlit (and, I guess that the fact that it doesn't show the current mode it's in is a bit of a problem too.) Obviously, the Producer 8 addresses these 2 C7 problems but it is quite a bit larger (which IMO isn't necessarily better.)
A question to Philip: Can you use the advanced/discrete codes (that work with the C7) on the Producer 8 series? I assume you can but can't say that I know it to be a fact.
As for the Sonys... I have used and helped install a VL-900. It is a great remote and has seemingly endless memory. And, it can run several macros for system control (a big plus in my eyes (& ears.) But, like the C7, it has no backlight and the current control mode is not indicated. One thing it cannot do the the cheaper C7 can is the advanced/discrete code thing. But if this does not seem to be a big deal for you, the Sony is pretty cool.
As for the VL-700, from what I've read at http://www.remotecentral.com , I'd pass. Apparently, it's macro capability is awful. The C7 would easily beat it!
I guess that if you don't need the backlight or mode indicator, I would think the C7 IQ would be the best choice. But the Sony 900 or the Producer 8 (if it can learn and accept advanced/discrete codes) would be great too.
------------------

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Another great thing about the UEIC remotes is that with $5 in parts from the local Rat Shack, an Excel spreadsheet or two and some custom software, you can really customize the remote. Check out the JP1 info available at hifi-remote.com

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Can you use the advanced/discrete codes (that work with the C7) on the Producer 8 series?
Yes. They work great. The only problem with the old Producer8 that I have (may be fixed on the newer learning model) is that there isn't quite enough memory for the MANY key mappings I want to accomplish. :)
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I’ve been using the OFA AV Producer 8800 for a year now, it is a very good remote but still doesn’t have enough memory to program all the advanced codes I’d like, this is a common complain for many remotes at this price range, some of the DVD/VCR navigation keys (play, FF, RR, Pause) are hard to use with one hand, other than that if you can get one for a good price go for it (I paid $69.00), it will accept advance codes and macros on any key and provide very good control for 8 devices.
I’d suggest carefully choosing first the essential functions you need before programming any advanced codes on this remote, this way you will conserve memory and avoid the headache of deleting and programming again, also keep track of all programmed and reassigned buttons/keys, it’s very difficult to remember reassigned buttons without labeling capabilities.
If you are not very demanding this is a very good remote, but if you want to move up a few notches the HTM MX500 for around $125.00 seems to be the new kid on the block.
icon14.gif

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/23.htm
http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/41.htm

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
The JP1 interface is just the ticket for you guys running out of space. There is separate memory in the UEIC remotes for advanced codes, upgrade codes and learned codes. Instead of typing in a bunch of advanced codes by hand, take those advanced codes and create your own device upgrade code. You would very like save a lot of space by doing it this way. It is also a lot easier to program the remote with the IR program than it is punching buttons on the remote. In addition, you can save your configuration for backup purposes or for cloning a given setup onto a second remote. Take a look thru JP1 for Beginners to get an idea of the process of really taking charge of your UEIC remotes.

TonyG

Auditioning
I think the biggest disadavantage of the 8800/9800 v. the 7800 besides the bulk is that on the higher models you can only use the learning keys to learn codes. Although it doesn't say so in the manual, the 7800 can use the vast majority of keys for learning. If all of your devices are in the remotes library, this is not quite as big of an advantage. My Sharp DVD player is not in the library of my 7800 and being able to learn on the labelled keys is much less confusing than on the generic learning keys. I think there is also more flexibility in what buttons can be assigned to macros in the 7800. The JP1 approach probably reduces both of these advantages.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Ellen: WOW! I took a look at the JP1 info. Again, WOW! It is very clear that these remote's capabilities have been fully fleshed out. Hats off and kudos to those who invested the time and effort to work all of this stuff out.
BUT, IMO, for the casual home theater user, it may be just too much. I understand very, very basic programming and can follow instructions pretty well. But it appears to me that the JP1 would take quite a long time to master. In the short time it takes to program a C7 IQ the old fashioned way, she/he/we could be listening to Hanibal (or whatever...)
Just my 2 cents...
------------------

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Chuck, I agree that if the default device codes included with the UEIC remotes operate your equipment or if you only need to use a couple advanced codes here, a few learned codes there, then the JP1 may not hold much appeal. But a couple of the ppl here indicated that they have more than just a couple of codes that they want/need to get into their remotes. The process is really not all that difficult. Hey, if I can do it, anybody can
wink.gif

BTW, I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, just pointing out options for getting the most out of the remotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks