What's new

Once again... seeking support for a DVD release of BILLY BUDD (1962) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
During the years I've frequented this forum, I've come to know that I have many contemporaries among you (age 50+) and also a great number of younger classic movie aficionados. I am hoping that, between you, there are many who share my love for the Herman Melville-inspired sea tragedy BILLY BUDD. This film was directed by (and starred) Peter Ustinov as a British Captain during the French Wars of the late eighteenth century. A debutante by the name of Terence Stamp played the truly innocent sailor Billy Budd, taken aboard the H.M.S. Indominable and almost immediately singled out by the neurotic master-at-arms Claggart, played with oozing evil by Robert Ryan. A brilliant film, photographed in black and white with a ratio of 2.35:1. This was an Allied Artists film, eventually released (pan and scan only, of course) on VHS (never laser) by Allied Artists, then Key Video. Key was an offshoot of Fox, but I do not believe Fox owns this film now. I think Warners owns the Allied Artists catalog, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, this is a sensational movie adventure with much food for thought, and needs DVD release! TCM ran it letterboxed a few times years ago, but my e-mail requests to them for a re-showing have gone unanswered, so I am wondering if they have lost the rights to broadcast it. Any other fans out there???

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as a fan. I also saw that TCM letterboxed broadcast, and have been hoping for an eventual DVD release since. I'd snap one up in an instant.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'll always support a DVD release of Billy Budd. Robert Ryan is one of my favorite actors, and he's terrific in this film. Boy, did he love playing villans. I haven't seen this film in over 15 years, it really deserves a release on DVD.

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely count me in!

IMNSHO, one of the finest films ever made...

I have been hoping beyond hope that this film will make it to DVD.

Robert Ryan as the Definitive Claggart, and Terence Stamp as the innocent Billy Budd is a nice contrast to his performance as The Limey.

Put me down for TWO copies (one to loan out to those poor souls who have never seen this excellent widescreen b/w film)!

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting for this film to hit DVD ever since the format started. One of my top 5 most wanted classics on DVD. I'll sign whatever it takes to get this puppy out there in a quality transfer.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks