What's new

On The Line: One of the Worst Trailers Ever! (Spoilers for whoever cares) (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Joining the family of previews for Serendipity, What Lies Beneath, Cast Away and Meet The Parents, the trailer for the N-Sync drenched, smarmy looking teeny bopper flick "On The Line," attached to prints of "Serendipity" this week (oh, the double irony of similar plots and ruinous trailers!), is a two minute condensed version of the movie.
It contains the setup, the follow through and every detail, twist and surprise, then shows the climax, and then gives away the entire ending of the movie in its final shots.
Now, I haven't seen the film, but I sincerely doubt any major surprises can come out of this film after seeing how everything is set up. And before you go "Who cares Jase? This is an N'Sync movie and besides you, no one on the HTF is going to see this one! :)", that is beside the point. I'm reacting to the terrible marketing team at Miramax, and I would certainly be outraged if any of my films were marketed this way. It's as if some people don't want to be surprised anymore.
This film looks terrible and a complete waste of time, but my personal opinions of the film aside, at the very least, advertisers show know better than this offensive marketing.
Here, have a laugh: http://www.movie-list.com/o/ontheline.shtml
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh no! Let's go...let's go crazy!" Prince, Purple Rain

My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!
[Edited last by Jason_Whyte on October 09, 2001 at 02:13 AM]

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Emanuelle Chiquri is goregous
Amen to that. As for the "film", let's just say it's one I have no interest in, no matter how goregous :) Chriquri might be.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Joel C

Screenwriter
It seems movies always use the Blue and Orange line (el-trains). Why never my precious red line? I usually make an effort to see Chicago based movies, but I'll pass on this one.
Dumb name, too. At least they didn't call it "L-Evated" or something.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But doesn't Lance Bass die when he's accidentally pushed by thongs of fans who had to see their idol in the flesh onto the tracks as a train comes flying into the station? :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Nice to see how the discussion about the ruinous trailer got sidetracked with talk on Emanuelle Chiquri. Still, I can't blame you guys. She made "Snow Day" less torturous to watch :)
I tell ya, a quick download of the trailer is all you need for this film. Hell, I may just add this to my 2001 Film List with a one star rating!
Also, you think Ebert will default three star this film because it's set in Chicago?
laugh.gif

Jay-L
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
Oh no! Let's go...let's go crazy!" Prince, Purple Rain

My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree that this trailer is absolutely atrocious. Surely it's precisely as awful as the movie deserves.
Forgive me for criticizing a movie without having seen it, but I've been around long enough to know that when it's a vehicle for some pop star, nasty things are generally afoot.
My apologies to fans of Glitter, Cool as Ice, Tougher than Leather, Hard to Hold and Disorderlies.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Come on Scott...Disorderlies was a CLASSIC! Thinking of it makes me want a Disorderlies/Krush Groove night. In case it was in doubt, I am just joking...
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Also, you think Ebert will default three star this film because it's set in Chicago?
Amazingly enough, he didn't! :)
This is the only movie I can think of that's set in Chicago that Ebert hasn't given a positive review. It must REALLY stink...
/Mike

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
God knows I don't want to be found defending this film, but give it a break. Certainly none of us in this thread are the target audience for the film. I've seen it, and I didn't think it was half bad for what it is. It's a simple, clean teen romance aimed at girls.
While the two N Sync guys may be in it, this is far from a vanity project (unlike the truly atrocious Glitter). Sure, Joey Fatone hams it up and Lance Bass is sort of bland, but I found that it worked on its own terms. It works much better than Serendipity, which the frigging Miramax marketing machine tries to convince everyone is loved by critics.
The story has one major problem that everyone conveniently overlooks, but romantic comedies usually suffer from this sort of thing. It's easy to pick on On the Line, but it doesn't deserve it. Not when there's stuff like 13 Ghosts and Riding in Cars with Boys out there...
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Withnail and I: The Criterion Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks