What's new

ole32.dll error (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I've got a Win98 system that will boot fine until the first programs start to load (virus protection) and I get a "this program has performed an illegal operation" and the error points to the ole32.dll file. This is the case when any program is opened. Win Explorer included.

Any way of getting this system back up? Even temporarily?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Go to somewhere like www.dll-files.com and download a new copy of that file. Then go into your system folder (this should show up in the errors) and copy the new file into the system folder.

The system folder will probably be something like C:/Windows/System

Good luck.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Already tried that. I guess there's something machine specific about that .dll file? The original file on the system was about 700k and the one I downloaded was 1.1mb. It didn't like the different file......

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you made any changes to the system recently such as installing updates or service packs?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Well, it's a system here at work...not mine so I can't say for 100%, but I was told no changes had been made recently, so I'm going on that.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Do you have something like configsafe on your system that allows you to go back to previous snapshots of your system and do a re-load of those configuration files. Configsafe has bailed me out of problems on numerous occasions.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
OK, I wound up doing a registry rollback (something I saw on microsoft.com) and that fixed the problem. It rolled back to about 6 months ago, so it required reinstalling a couple of programs, but other than that (and the problem below) it's back in business.

Now I can't get online with it. It shows up on the network and can be accessed that way. I can also browse the network from that machine with no problem, but I cannot access the internet.

I've removed and re-added most network components and still can't get online. What is the deal when I can browse the network and not the internet? Again I'm dealing with Win98.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks