What's new

Old Toshiba CZ27V51 television (1 Viewer)

Mike*HIN

Auditioning
Hey all,

Been reading here off and on for a few months just never posted. So please forgive me if this info is posted elsewhere. I looked around but there is a lot of info here!

I got a 1999 model Toshiba television, model CZ27V51. It's my primary television. I'm not huge into home theater as I don't have too much money so that is the reason I have an older set. I also use a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR via component (Colorstream in Toshiba terms) video. That combo unit is a new model that replaced an aging SD-1600. Dolby Digital is from a just as old Sherwood, can't recall it's model.

A couple of weeks ago I finally found out how to get into the Service and Design menus. I have written down all the default values. I did a search on this forum for info on that particular Toshiba television and didn't come up with much except for some posts from a moderator here who has that set as his bedroom tv. I didn't expect to find even that much since this is an "old" set by todays standards.

I wanted to get into the service menu as this set has always been a bit too red for what I want. I fixed that just fine. The part I have not been able to fix is the horizontal overscan. There is a setting called "WID" in the service menu that doesn't do anything at all. I fixed the vertical overscan just fine.

Does anyone know by chance if there is another setting in the service or design menu on how to fix this? I've searched quite a bit over the net and found some references to others with this model where "WID" does nothing.

Maybe the moderator here who has this set in his bedroom can shed some light on this? And maybe if they or someone else has any recommendations for settings on this particular model.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My forays into the set's service menu are limited to collapsing the scanning-line raster. And I received the codes and instructions for this from a fellow member and colleague, almost four years ago, who (I think) still has a CZ27V51 as his bedroom set as well. Quite frankly, I enjoy my CZ27's picture quality tremendously—so much so that I've not the slightest desire to unpack a brand-new Panasonic 27-inch set I received for free over the holidays.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sometimes certain parameters in the menu do nothing. It happens. There are no other parameters that will squeeze the image for you.

This stuff cannot be called in for warranty work either since there is no way you can know that this parameter was "defective" since you were never supposed to be in there.

Regards

Mike*HIN

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. Glad to know someone out there does remember this old television set.

I have calibrated it using the Video Essentials DVD that I got long ago. The set looks pretty good on the test patterns. But when I go to watch tv via my satellite dish the picture is a bit too dark for what I would like so I bump up the contrast and/or brightness just a little. I also, despite what the VE disc says, turn up the sharpness a little too.

What I have noticed is that the settings I make from what VE tells me look pretty good when viewing DVD's. Probably since that is going thru component video. When I switch to the composite input where the satellite dish goes, the colors are different. I'm guessing the adjustments made thru the standard on screen menus are different for each input?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The WID parameter did nothing for my TV either, so I don't really know what other parameter should be used to change the horizontal width of the displayed video/picture.

You might want to try setting the composite input using VE with the DVD player connected to the composite input, and see if that helps with satellite as the video input source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks