What's new

old Pioneer speakers - looking for some help/info/advice (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Hi, I have a friend who has a pair of old Pioneer CS-G301WA II speakers. He doesn't have a home theater setup and is

wondering if they'd still be good in a home theater setup as front speakers. I have no knowledge of these speakers and there doesn't seem to be much on the web about them. I think they're from the mid-80s. Would he be better off retiring these or moving these into a garage/office for a cheap stereo setup out there and getting something new? Anyone know if these speakers were any good?

thanks much,

--tom

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Garage blasters.

HT does not require big mains. Sat / sub systems are inexpensive and very effective at using all of the amps energy for upper range freq's.

Wish him luck and ask many questions!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
But you knew that, right?

What are these Pioneers? 3 ways? 12" woofs?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I believe the old Pioneers are 3 ways, not sure on the woofer size but my friend said that on the speaker is listed a frequency range of 35hz - 20Khz so I suspect it's a decent size woofer. he says they were around $200/pair back around 1987 or so.
In addition to home theater, he'd also like something that will be decent for stereo music. I've told him to stay away from smaller satellite/sub combos since my experience is they are not good for music playback (any satellite that just has a 3 inch midrange in it will sound like a tin can). There is of course also the SAF :) I believe she'd like to see the Pioneers vanquished to parts unknown.
He's been looking at the JBL SCS135? system but I'm not sure that is a good choice for music. He currently doesn't have a budget but it's best to say that he's looking for an inexpensive setup as opposed to cheap :)
thanks!
--tom

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
There are a ton of good 6.5 inch 2 way bookshelves that have enough bass on their own that they don't need a sub. Stands can be made very easily if you have simple tools and an hour to do it.
To be good for music all the sats need to do is get down to about 80 Hz and let the sub go from there. I believe thay are BETTER at music than any tower / full range job for the same money since the amp can concentrate in the mids and highs and the bass can be placed in the best spot for listening.
That JBL set is ok, but I'd look at the NSP1 set first. More money, though.
I know a guy who got 5 NHT Zeros for $275 on ebay. Great speakers, great deal. Yesterday ONE went for $75 or so. Add almost any sub worth it's salt and it's the best system on the block, depending on your neighbors. :)
Add an SV and FUGEDDABOUDIT!:D
-CM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks