Looking for some advice...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Parker Parrish, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Parker Parrish

Parker Parrish Auditioning

Nov 30, 2003
    My name is Parker Parrish and I am trying to set up a reasonably priced (cheep) home theater system. I have a DVD player with a digital coax out and an old CD changer with an RCA out. They (along with the TV and tape deck) run into an Onkyo Tx-8511 stereo receiver that powers two Tannoy 609s. The speakers were given to us and I came across this info on the web:

8" Dual Concentric with tulip wave guide
    8 Ohm
    Sensitivity ([email protected]): 89dB
    Freq. Res. +/- 3dB: 46Hz - 30kHz
    X-over: 2.5kHz

I have been looking at the Pioneer VSX-D912 and was wondering what the current opinion of it is. Is there anything else similarly priced that you would recommend?
    The way my room is set up is a little odd. The main seating is forced up against a glass door so if I wanted 6.1 sound, the rear center channel would have to be mounted about 3.5feet above and a mere 5 inches behind me. Would I still get the same effect or should I not even bother and stick to 5.1? Also, any recommendations on speakers? I would like to keep the receiver and speakers under $700 so I know my choices are limited. I can’t afford “perfect” so I’m looking for the closest my budget will allow. I’d love to be able to use the Tannoys but I am afraid I won’t be able to match the sound to anything else. Thanks for reading this and I’m sure you can tell I need all the help I can get!

Parker Parrish
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999

Since you're asking about a specific receiver here, this is the section where you should post. The Basics area is a place where newcomers can ask the very basics, as in "What is a receiver?"

Good luck.
  3. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    Are your other surrounds mounted 3.5' above ear level as well? I think you would still get the advantage of 6.1 from it, not optimal, but HT in a living room is always full of some compromises.