What's new

Old ATP3 sub/sat PC speakers. Repair or salvage parts? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I've got these old ATP3 PC speakers that no longer work. The problem is in the amp/power section I believe since the system will not turn on. It is long out of warranty. Should I send them in to get repaired?

A possibility I was thinking of was ripping all the electronics out of the box and putting in some binding posts. Making a nice little "light-support" subwoofer. Is this a waste of my time? Could the drivers in the speakers be used in other projects?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Not to state the obvious, but have you made sure it's not something as simple as a blown fuse you could replace for $.20? If it's not that, it still might be something obvious that you could fix easily, such as replacing a burned out capacitor.

I don't think I'd recommend using the ATP3 subwoofer in any "real" system. I doubt it extends much below what a decent set of mains would anyways. I find the ATP3 set to be a great value as computer speakers for those on a budget (two family members own them), but computer subwoofers and HT subwoofers are very different animals.
Oh, and since ATP3's are going for under $40 new these days, I doubt professional repair would be worth the cost. You could always try selling the broken set on ebay, perhaps someone else would be interested in using it for spare parts or to try and repair it themselves.

-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks