What's new

okay i know BOSE is hated here...... (1 Viewer)

prathit

Auditioning
hey everyone!!

i am well aware that Bose is hated here......its almost a crime here to discuss it. However i did make a mistake by buying the Bose Acoustimass 5 speaker system (the stereo speakers with 2 arrays and a bass-module)......now earlier i was pretty content with the performance of these speakers but now having read all about bose on this forum, i have come to realise that the Bass is indeed very amature and shallow......i am using a Yamaha 6.1 amp with a 125 watt RMS/channel......it also has a subwoofer out.....i want to connect an active subwoofer to it, which gives me those lows that i'm missing out on and at the same time is within reach.....say abt $400.....now having had a talk to the Bose people, they say that its not advisable to put another subwoofer with the bass-module as they will negate each other......is that true??? i dont wanna waste my money if thats gonna happen.....please help...!!!!!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I think it will be fine and will offer some improvement. If the Bose bass module is negated, so what? I have never heard them that way but I can't see how it could sound worse than without an active subwoofer. The Accoustimass 5 speakers sound pretty good for little satellite speakers but are way over priced for the performance, but the performance for the size is ok in my opinion.

Chris

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just set the crossover on the receiver to 120hz for the front l/r speakers, and then play around with the new sub via the sub output.

Should be fine.

Brent

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
one of the things I really hate about sat sub packages (yes, I had a polk rm system once), is that the manufacturers are reluctant to give out frequency response information: why in the world would a consumer want to avoid using their exquisitely designed crossover?

But you might have to experiment with crossover points greater than 120 Hz. On the other hand, there's still some debate over what crossover points should be used even if a 3db point is known, so there you go...

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Question: is your AM5 sub active or passive? If passive, by all means use your "sub out" on your receiver for another sub. I doubt, especially if you're willing to put out almost the same amount of $ for the sub as you did for the am5, there will be much if any "conflict". I did something similar with my old am10 system and was much happier with the bass response. The newer versions of the acoustimass series have better powered subs than the older ones, but still not as good as buying well-matched pieces seperately.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I would keep the bass module pluged in. Just get or use a subwoofer with it.
and use the reciever to set the crossover at 80 to 120 hz or to what ever sounds good to you. I don't think that there would be too many issues of
cancellation if you use the two togther. As they say experment with placement
untill you get the sound you like.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

I'm concerned about this statement. Have you come to realize Bose speakers sound bad because you have heard better speakers or because you read here and in other forums that Bose is bad? Bose may be disliked in the audio enthusist and audiophile communities, but a lot of people do like how they sound. Figure out what you like by listening, not by reading.

prathit

Auditioning
i wrote that ecause my cousin just bought a pair of Jamo towers with denon 6.1 amp.......after hearing that, i realised he spent less $$ but got a better deal.....in terms of performance.....but 1 thing everyone has to agree......bose AM5s look much better than those ugly Jamo Towers.....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Nonsense! Everyone here will tell you Bigger Speakers = Bigger Penis.

Now for your $400 subwoofer dilemma, since this is HTF you're going to get the SVS PB-10 recommended, and probably the HSU STF-2.

jimLi

Auditioning
The only way an add on sub could negate the Bose sub is if they are out of phase with each other. Most powered subs have a phase control. In this case I would say that you should make sure that the new sub has a continuous pahse control (a knob) as opposed to a simple switch. Placement can affect the phase and a continuous control will be able to adjust out any phase problems. Phase problems will be more apparent if you have say the Bose sub in front and the new one behind but playing with the adjustment should sort it out.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The main criticism is what you said about your cousin's system. Bose spends a ton of money on mass marketing, but the truth is that there are a lot of speakers that cost less and, in my opinion, sound better. I don't buy speakers for their looks, I buy them for their performance.

Having said all that, the best sounding speakers are the speakers that sound best to you, not the majority of the opinions at some forum. My advise to anyone considering Bose is to look at a lot more speakers before they take the plunge. If Bose is the best sounding to them, go for it.

Good luck

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am not sure the people that buy Bose see in the bose AM5's. I agree if you like the sound of something go ahead and buy it. But I can see myself buying something that uses cheap paper drivers, tiny plastic boxes and charges top dollar. For a configuration that can not possible reproduce full 20Hz-20KHz sound. Bose would have you believe that they can bypass physics and produce great sound with what passes as an undersized midrange and a subwoofer.

And if Bose is so proud and so sure of the superior nature of there product. Why does Bose stay away from the largest electronic show in North America? Why is every other company that is making speakers showing up to the CES event in Vegas and Bose is no where to be seen?

Dont get me wrong you have to be happy with how your own system sounds. And you should buy what sounds good to you. I just dont see the attraction to cheaply built speakers? There are other speakers that are small that sound 10 x better. Bose doesn't truely perform and it uses cheap materials that is why alot of people don't like them, IMHO.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Prathit,

If the AM5 is what you have, you’re golden. Basically, the bass module along with the satellites function as a full-range speaker. All you have to do is add your powered sub and set up your receiver accordingly. It will roll out the bass in the module at the right place, just as it would with any other speaker, and hand the low bass off to the sub. It will be a definite improvement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
Sell the Bose on Ebay and buy a better speaker system. Because Bose is so over priced, you'll probably still come out saving money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks