What's new

OK...why do some people still write checks for small amount? (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, I'm a magnet and always end up behind someone who write checks. Now we all write checks but these people do it for ridiculous amount. It takes forever to write a check and ofcourse, they always wait until the amount is given before they dig into their pockets or purses to get their checkbook out. Then once you wrote it, you have to write it in your balance book. Then the cashier usually have problem with checks because they don't do enough. After it runs through, they ask for the license and write that down. Argggggg........

I respect people who can't get a credit card or an ATM card or forgot to reload their wallet with cash, but it happens to me too often for that to be the case. If you still write checks for an apple or two or for a pair of socks, tell me why you do it?

Sorry, I have to vent after months of being a magnet to lines with check writers.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
E

Eric Kahn

Some of us absolutly refuse to get a check card, if your credit card is stolen and you report it, you are only liable for the first $50 charged on it or nothing at all if you reported it before it was used

If your check card is stolen and used, you are out whatever they got out of your account period. none of the credit card protections apply to a debit card even if it is also a credit card

my bank charges me to use an ATM card if it is not one of their machines, that means that if i use it at the grocery checkout, I am going to pay a fee for the transaction

I get to write checks for Free, no fees on my checks or account and I can stop payment if they are stolen

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I write checks for everything. I can always write a check faster than the person fumbling for the cash buried in a purse or pocket and the time it takes for a cashier to pull the change out of the register. But I too have waited for what seems like forever for someone to go through the ritual of writing the check, balancing the register, putting the checkbook away, finding just the right place for the pen, and finally placing the receipt in the correct place for later retrieval... Yes, it's frustrating to say the least.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I got behind some woman at the movie theater this weekend who wrote a check at the box office. Damn, I thought I was gonna miss half my movie by the time she was done writing it out and presenting ID. The BO has a sign that credit/ATM cards are not accepted. I don't know why they don't ban checks too.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Some check cards offer some degree of protection, but it will only happen after the fact. Somebody who steals your check card and empties your account will end up leaving you with no money and possibly a bunch of legitimate checks bouncing. Fortunately, most banks will issue you an ATM/debit card that isn't a check card, and you can still use it at lots of stores (but you have to enter a PIN.)

On the other hand, somebody who gets a hold of your checkbook could also cause you plenty of inconvenience. IMHO a checkbook should rarely leave the house.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I use a debit card at the grocery store and a credit card or debit card at other stores, so I almost never write checks outside of home. But when I used to write checks at the grocery store (before stores started accepting check/ATM cards) I'd always fill out everything except the amount while standing in line, or even before leaving the house. Then when I'm checking out, I'd fill in the amount, sign it, and hand it over. Takes less time than fumbling for cash that way.

KJP

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I use a debit card at the grocery store

"

but do you use it for any amount??

I work at a grocery store and get LOTS of customers using a debit card for less than $10 in purchases ...it's really damn annoying.

I you don't have ANY cash on you than could cause problems if the banks go down.

Brent L

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Brentl, but my local grocery is faster is you use a check card. Money exchanges seem to take just as long as it takes to approve the transfer, and there is no chage exchanged. Not to even get started with checks.

I walk around with money, but I always use a check card.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lots of people don't carry much, if any, cash anymore. If you're mugged, the cash is gone. But unless you're knocked out or seriously injured, you can probably get to a phone and call your bank(s) before too much damage is done to your finances.

One troubling thing I've noticed recently is that cashiers very seldom check the signature on the card against that on the receipt any more. I usually always keep out the card, even when I swipe it myself, so they can see the signature. 95% of the time, they don't bother.

As a general rule, I don't bother using my credit/ATM card for sales less than $10 (except at the gas pumps or if I really have NO cash).

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If your check card is stolen and used, you are out whatever they got out of your account period.
My credit union offers the same protection on my check card as a credit card- liable for the first $50.

I use a check card everywhere. I write about two checks a month, maybe.

Todd

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I don't use checks anymore. I hate checks. They're way too cumbersome and they take too much time. Sometimes I wish they would shoot the bastard that invented checks.
The last time I ever wrote a check was for Ken Cranes. They took two frickin' weeks just to deposit my check! With my debit card, payment is instant and I don't have to worry about leaving money in the bank for checks that haven't cleared yet. Debit cards are stress-free!! :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
One word: Patience The world won't end while you wait an extra 5 minutes for someone to write a check.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I hate checks also. Such a pain. I also don't carry around much cash and I hardly ever use my check card. I just charge everything. Charging groceries is great. Buy now, eat now, pay at the end of the month. I use my 2 credit cards for just about everything. I think the only time I use cash is for fast food but a lot of those are now accepting credit cards so I may stop using cash there also.

Patience The world won't end while you wait an extra 5 minutes for someone to write a check
I've already waited in line for 10 minutes to checkout. Mothers with their crying babies and little 2 year old brats running all over the place pushing me aside as they try and get to the candy in the checkout. The fat smelly guy with buttcrack in front of me. I don't want to wait anymore. I've got what I want and I'm ready to get out of there immediately. Why can't we have iPass for grocery stores. That would rock. Just walk through the checkout and it detects everything you have. You bag it as you are pulling it off the shelves.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've written 12 checks in the last year..each for rent. Now that we're moving into the house I doubt I'll write another all year. In Canada its very common for the vast majority of stores to accept credit card or debit cards so there's a large percentage of our population (myself incl) that never have more then a hand full of change in my wallet. I pay of everything on my credit card to collect the travel points...does't matter if its $3 or $300 it goes on visa or occasionally debit. I agree that I can likely pay for something on debit faster then a tellar can count out change and hand back bills.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
The BO has a sign that credit/ATM cards are not accepted. I don't know why they don't ban checks too.

Because they're not stupid. It is surprising to see that they don't allow cards instead of checks.

Not taking plastic must be costing them some business but apparently it is out weighed by the saving in merchant card fees.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Unless you have an Amer. Exp. card, or a wad of cash, it's impossible to shop at Costco without a checkbook. Usually the lines are so long, that you can write most of your check ahead of time. You can even haven them print the cost on your checkbook through the register to save time.

To make things quicker with checks, I always use duplicate checks. They have a carbonless that creates a receipt fot the check instantly. Then you can enter into the register later on. some people may not like the carbonless sheets, but you get used to them.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
The main reason people use checks seems to be that it is safe!!! Are we all living in such high crime areas where we are subjected to theft and muggings??? :) Or are we all so forgetful where we lose our wallet? :)
Don't get me wrong I use checks to pay bills, but unless I was a 70 year old lady I would not use them for paying for things in a store ... I honestly do not see any advantage to it!?!?!?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Funny, because the four Costcos in my area take all debit cards, Amex credit cards, cash and checks.

Checkes will soon be a thing of the past. The only time I use checks is to pay my water bill, only because they don't offer online payments or direct withdrawal.

If a store doesn't accept plastic, I do what's more convenient for me - either don't shop there, or go to a cash machine.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I always carry around 2 extra checks on me with my cash. Ill only take so much out of the ATM and then Ill write a check after that for purchases.

However, I will have all the info filled out - including phone # and Ill write my license info on the top of the check so when I get to the cashier I only have to write the amount. Ive had ALOT of cashiers thank me for saving them the trouble of having to write all info on my check.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not taking plastic must be costing them some business but apparently it is out weighed by the saving in merchant card fees.
This is a new theater and they have an ATM installed right outside the front door with big signs saying "credit/ATM cars not accepted at the box office, please use ATM instead." Perhaps they have some financial arrangement with the bank that operates the ATM since I assume that anyone not a customer of this bank is charged a fee for using the machine. Perhaps a percentage is kicked back to the theater?

I think my Costco accepts ATM/debit also. But since my bank charges a fee-per-transaction to use the check card as an ATM/debit (using PIN number), I usually just write a check at Costco. I think that's the only place I write checks anymore, other than to pay monthly bills.

Some of it is an age thing, too. More "mature" folks seem to have a harder time letting go of paper transactions. My Mom will never use her check card for purchases. She won't even use an ATM machine. She writes checks all the time. My father will use the ATM, but he also writes checks everywhere instead of using his check card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks