What's new

OK...why do some people still write checks for small amount? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I get exasperated when I get in line with check writers. The whole process of writing the check, and having the cashier look up your ID and write down your driver's license number (if not pre-printed) and then getting it approved just drives me up the wall (internally).

I know I don't get the glares when I pay in cash because it's perfectly acceptable to expect people to pay in cash. But checks are a whole new ballgame with too many overtimes to decide the outcome.

The only checks I write are for the bills and the mortgage, all from home, inconveniencing no one.

I don't advocate the use of check cards, too many horror stories associated with them.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Pettiness has been taken to new levels at the HTF, and I thought back when I was an admin that I'd read it all. :laugh:

MikeM

Screenwriter
What doesn't make any sense to me is that grocery stores allow you to write checks in the "Express" lane.

I'd much rather have someone ahead of me in line with 20 items and cash, then 9 items and a check.

Express lanes in grocery stores should be CASH ONLY in my opinion.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
My credit union offers the same protection on my check card as a credit card- liable for the first $50.
UMB Bank offers the same protection on their Check Card. From my perspective, unless you keep your pin written down somewhere, they are as safe as any credit card. So unless you have specific concerns about the use of a credit card, I would think a check card would be a natural choice.

I'm a huge online shopper, so a check card is a godsend for most of my activities.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why can't we have iPass for grocery stores.
Several grocery stores in our area have self checkout lanes, where you scan and bag your own items. It saves time if there are long lines (there is never a wait for the self checkout registers), but actually takes longer than going through a cashier line, assuming there is no wait for the cashier.

I have never written a check in a store. Actually, I rarely write any checks now, since we use online banking and electronic payments. I use a credit card for almost all my purchases, and only carry a small amount of cash. With a charge card I get several benefits -- (1) protection against the card being stolen, (2) a free loan for the grace period (I always pay the balance at the end of the month), and (3) money towards my next automobile purchase through Citibank's Drivers Edge program. Between Citibank and Ford Motor Company, we got back $2,100 on our last Mercury Villager purchase, and I have over $700 coming when I purchase another vehicle this spring.

Any business that does not accept a credit card will probably not get my business.

Gregory

Grip
As a bookkeeper, the best thing about plastic is accuracy and lack of paperwork. I've noticed cashiers don't know how to give correct change and customers don't know how to write the check for the correct amount, and don't get me started on people's handwriting.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious why some of you use a checkcard instead of a credit card? With a checkcard the money is pulled out right there. But a credit card is basically a no interest loan to you for 30 days or so (to steal what a friend said) as long as you pay your balance at the end of the month. I just don't like paying for things so if I can put it off as long as I can I'm happy :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike,
I think the vast majority of credit card owners do not pay their entire balance due at the end of the month, and incur huge interest payments as a result. I agree, though, that a credit card is the way to go if you have the discipline to use it properly. It's my preferred method of payment.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
my bank charges me to use an ATM card if it is not one of their machines, that means that if i use it at the grocery checkout, I am going to pay a fee for the transaction
It's not unusual at all for a bank to charge money if you use somebody else's ATM machine (eg. using a Bank One card at a National City Bank machine). However, I've never heard of getting charged for using your card at a grocery checkout. If that's the case, you need to switch banks.

IMO, people really need to quit using checks at the line. Use cash, debit, or credit people!!! Checks should only be used to pay bills by the mail!!! And if your bank charges you for using your debit/atm card at the grocery store, START SHOPPING FOR A NEW BANK!!!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Hey, man, sometimes you just don't have the 79 cents on you for the cream for a White Russian. Relax, chill out, man.

The Dude

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
However, I've never heard of getting charged for using your card at a grocery checkout.
I don't think they would charge you like they do for using another bank's ATM. However, my bank does charge me 50 cents per transaction if I use my check card as a debit card (with PIN). They do not charge me if I use it as a credit card (with signature). For some reason, I used to mix-and-match transactions until I noticed a couple dollars in fees on my bank statement. Now I always sign the receipt.

Another advantage to check cards is you don't have to buy so many checks. I don't think I've purchased any checks in nearly 3 years and still have quite a supply left.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's not unusual at all for a bank to charge money if you use somebody else's ATM machine (eg. using a Bank One card at a National City Bank machine). However, I've never heard of getting charged for using your card at a grocery checkout. If that's the case, you need to switch banks.
I agree. I have used my ATM/debit card instead of my credit card by mistake a couple of times, and I do not get charged a transaction fee. If your bank is charging you for this service, find a different bank.

I use banks for holding ready cash, not for investing or saving. Any bank that starts nailing me with a lot of fees will lose my business. I pay nothing for my accounts, nor for using an ATM (I do need to use my bank's machines, but I have selected one that has machines conveniently located where I need them). My only fee is a $4.95 per month online bill payment fee, which actually saves me money because I no longer pay postage to mail the bills.

RogerB

Second Unit
My VISA gives a rebate on all purchases at the end of the year. I charge EVERYTHING. Last year's rebate was over $500.

Check writing at stores should be banned or they should get their own checkout line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks