What's new

OK, so Ive decided on a receiver, next question... (1 Viewer)

Mark JM

Agent
HOW DO I USE IT???? Actually I've just read a lot of GREAT info on Vince's newbie link, thanks for all that participated...
OK, lets say today I've decided on the Denon 3802/1082 for my HT. This is what I got out of reading the newbie link...and please bear with me, I have no tech knowledge at all...
- 5.1 seems to be the standard, at least the greatest # of DVD's are formatted in 5.1
- DTS tracks are offered by a FEW companies, but many major's have refused to go to DTS as it takes up more space on a disc than they are willing to give up at the cost of video performance
- 6.1 is available in very select releases.
- 7.1 releases are not available at all, and probably wont be for some time
With this being said, what will I use things like DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, ES Matrix 6.1, and NEO 6 for...is this built in technology anticipating future advances in DVD audio production, or did I miss a chapter in the newbie section and will I have to remediate??
On a more practical note, how will I know which format to use when running a dvd, will the case say "formatted in DD 5.1, or DTS 5.1, 6.1 etc....
I have been reading/researching AVS and here for a couple of months now and I have to admit I'm become the poster child for the saying "A little knowledge is dangerous...":rolleyes:
Thanks for listening!
Mark

greg_t

Screenwriter
First, DTS has become quite common now and is offered on more titles than ever before and even entry level receivers include DTS capability.

I also don't feel that DTS ES and Dolby digital EX has caught on and there haven't been a whole lot of titles use it. However, several new recievers are offering it for a good price. For example, Yamaha has introduced 5 new receivers this month, and even the cheapest one ($299, I think) has DTS ES, DD EX, and Pro logic 2.

As far as formats, simply looking on the back of the dvd case will tell you which soundtrack formats are on the particular release.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
You are asking the right questions. Good job. I have the 3802, but would have preferred one less amp for the features of the da5es. And you are correct. 5.1 and DTS is good enough for the near future. 6.1 es/ddex is very nice , but not a necessity. Do you have room for 7 speakers. I did not and really screwed up. 4 speakers beside the couch.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I am starting to wonder about support from Hollywood on 6.1. Most of my new DVDs are 5.1. Very strange.
Now if you have a castle/very large family room, then the extra channels would come in handy. I have a large family room that was custom designed for 5 speakers, not 7. 6.1 was not an option 5 years ago.
A thread on the HK 520 was good reading. 520/898/5es/3802 were on my short list. My very short list was the 3802 and 5es because of cost. The 898 would have been mine if I had the dough. But, on hind site, I could have waited for the 5es prices to come down. Never ending wait. You have to decide. Email me if you go for the 3802 before you buy.
I think you should think about a budget for speakers. How much floor space can you waste??????????? I went large at Burger King because of my music needs. maybe you can spend less on an outstanding 5.1 rcvr and put more cash into some real hogs for speakers!:D

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
PS// Neo and Dolby 2 are not the best thing since baked bread IMO. I never use Neo6( very strange sounding). 7 channel stereo is awesome for music. I use that feature more than anything. Dolby 2 to me doesn't sound as good as 7 channel stereo. I leave my 6.1 SBs on all the time, which negates the need for Dolby 2 in my case only. This is only my opinion for what it's worth. Of course I use the 5.1 and 6.1 and DTS when appropriate.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark JM

Agent
Earl

Thanks for the input...Its like learning a new language!

I have a 1082 on order from a friend at a local shop. I am researching/buying a front projector for a basement room approx. 22 X 12, and I am buying new componants mainly for HT. I have a friend in the business that is going to order me a 1082, and to start I am looking at 4 small wharfdale's to wallmount along with a good sub. I am not one to buy/sell/trade every time there is a new/better mousetrap, so the options on the Denon seem to be able to keep me up to speed with Hollywood for the near future. I am going with moderately priced speakers (~2-250 pr) and would look to upgrade those 1st as time went on.

Thanks again for the help

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks