What's new

Ok, I got my Panny RP91, no what? :) (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got this bad boy.. hooked it up with basic component cables and coax digital to my RCA F38310 widescreen HDTV and my Onky 898. The picture is INCREDIBLE! But the most improvement came from the sound believe it or not. This thing sounds WAY better than my old Sony DVD player. I didn't know a DVD player could make such a difference in sound?

Now a couple questions... I heard that you could adjust the height/width of the display to fit my screen exactly, for instance when my TV locks in full mode and I need to adjust the format a bit. I thought you could do that with the RP91 but I don't see it in the manual.

Also... I have it hooked up with my coax digital cable to my Onk, is it better to hook this up with the 5.1 RCA channel hookups to my Onk? I don't know the excact terms (big fat newb) but you know what I mean.. the seperate channel RCA connecitons. Is that better than digital coax cable? If so, where can I get good ones that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Good component cables that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

thanks guys!!

Jim

Leo

Second Unit
Not sure what your budget is but check out Better Cables Component Cable for about $99 for 1 meter. I haven't used them, but folks recommend cables from Better Cables. I personally use JPS Labs Component Cables (custom runs as I have them in-wall wired for my home theater).
Leo

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have figured out most of it just playing around and reading that great RP91 FAQ. However I still have one main question....

Is a coax/Tos link digital cable better than connecting your DVD player to your AV unit via the 5.1 individual RCA channel jacks? Which provides the best quality of audio?

thanks!

Jim

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The main difference between using the coax/tos and the seperate 5.1 is if you use the C/T you are using the receiver DAC and if you use the seperate you are using the DVD player DAC. Which is better? You decide. The 5.1 is also used for DVD-A which is a 5.1 music mode.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Go digital Jim( i prefer coax). Guarrenteed, the DAC's in your 898 are better than the RP-91... and too be honest, i've never heard of anyone connecting throught he 5.1 analog inputs. I ordered an RP-91 as well. Should have it next week.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I actually hooked up my coax AND TOSlink so I can switch back and forth and see which one sounds better.
Chip... I don't know what DVD player you have, but I was going from a 2 year old SONY... and this thing is incredible!! I can't beleive how much better the picture AND sound are.
I don't know if you have a widescreen TV.. but all my older non anamorphic DVDs now almost fit the screen.. it's great. I just got it today.. so I have alot of playing to do :)
Damn.. I'm almost running out of things to buy!! What next?
Upgraded AV receiver/ all speakers/ DVD player/ subwoofer (SVS whooo!) / amp... what is next?
I think I'm going to get an equalizer just so I can watch the pretty lights dance.. how dumb would that be? ;>
Jim

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
i dont think that would be dumb. i have an old ADC eq with a huge! floresent display and i love to watch them dance!!!

the left channel is for display purposes only and the right channel is sort of a cross over/freq booster for my subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks