What's new

*** Official 'Virtua Fighther 4 (PS2)' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i played the game on kumite mode for 2 hours straight, but the game wont save anything. win / lose = 0 / 0. what the hell happened? i had created a new file before playing the game. that sucks ya know, so please help!

David_Lu

Grip
when you are in kumite character selection screen--hit the select button and it will allow you to select your character file from your memory card.

John Chow

Second Unit
Yah, it took me a couple of tries to figure this out as well. It's really not explained very clearly that you need to hit select to get the 'real' character selection.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
It was a real letdown to progress really far in Kumite and not realize it wouldn't save. Helpful to know this.. :)
Such a deep game.. the option screens go on and on... I particularly enjoy the free training mode, where you can set whether you opponent is standing, crouching, punches back, kicks back.. you basically own every move your opponent makes and it allows for some pretty good training.
The tutorial is also very comprehensive. VF4 has total respect for fighting newbies like me and doesn't assume that every gamer has memorized all the combo codes for Super Alpha Street Turbo Fighter 3XA4 1/2. :D
Joseph
p.s. Oscar, your Kung Fu may be strong, but it cannot withstand the brute force of Jeffrey McWild! :laugh::laugh:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
While I hate to see people having problems, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one that this happened to! ;)
On a semi-related note, on the character setup screen (where you select costume items, etc...), does the screen jitter/bounce wheneven you select a new item? It's like the screen gets interrupted when the disk seeks the new data. Weird.
-Dave

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
dave, yeah, it jitters. my oh my, the ps2 coughs! xbox and gamecube fanboys would be happy to hear that!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i would love to see an official thread where we can talk about fighting strategies.

when is the ps2 gonna go online?!!! i want to fight HTF forumers!!! i have been in love with vf games since the first vf.

even though i play with either pai or leon, i also wanted to play akira or shun, but they are really hard to master. in my opinion, it is impossible to master akira with a controller : we need a nice joystick. but anyway, if you guys could find avi files where a player who has mastered shun di is playing against somebody else, please tell me. i really want to know the tactics used... i mean, it is really frustrating to get the old man drunk. there are lots of moves that can only be unleashed when he is drunk!!! i also want to know WHEN would be the good time to use his silly stances. they are silly, but beautiful...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you're really looking for some competition check out one of the well-known arcades in Cali (Southern Hills Golfland springs to mind). The best Capcom, Tekken, SC, and VF players in America reside there (though the EC holds the crown in MvC2, and not too far behind in Tekken :)). For international VF play, Korea and Japan is where it's at but the movies are a little hard to find if you can't read the language. They'll blow your mind once you watch them though.
Here are a few VF resources:
High-level Korean and Japanese movies
www.fighters.net(Old Japan VF4 Tourney)
www.virtuafighter.com (decent forum & the media section)
Link Removed
Link Removed (Super Pro-stick)
As for playing fighting games on the net, don't hold your breath. Unfortunately lag time is a killer for fighters. :frowning:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
As for playing fighting games on the net, don't hold your breath. Unfortunately lag time is a killer for fighters
It's already been done with 2D fighters, 3D fighters /shouldn't/ be that much more effort. Capcom released a bunch of fighters on the Dreamcast that featured online play via Capcom's network in Japan. On the PC, there's a bunch of older arcade fighters emulated that allow network play via some specific software.

John Chow

Second Unit
I think the basic idea is to do a move or the movement of the move while the character is doing another move. This way when the character finishes the first move, he/she automatically starts the second move.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I cant imagine a fighting game would work online until the net is fast enough that lag isnt an issue anymore. I would think with the speed and timing involved, any lag at all would just ruin the experience.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
damnfool.gif

props to whoever correctly guesses where this came from

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I simply let my cat walk on the controller for a while personally......

Actually, I have never seen a fighting game that required so much strategy. i went as far as buying the Strategy Guide for this game, which is something i NEVER do.

But it only really shows you how to pull moves off and some general strategy on beating the AI if you're stuck. Good things will come from this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks