What's new

*** Official "THE RECRUIT" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Just got back from a crowded early screening of this film this afternoon and, while the picture is flawed in some ways, it impressed me in others.

The film didn't strike me as being all that similar to the trailers, which seemed to make it look like a Bruckheimer-ish picture (another "Bad Company"), but it's actually a very enjoyable plot-driven thriller, with only a few moments of action.

The film's plotting often takes from other thrillers, but there were enough twists and turns that I didn't see coming to keep me interested. The performances are also excellent: Pacino's wonderful in a supporting role, Colin Farrell offers a terrific performance and lastly, Bridget Moynahan is very good in her first real, substancial role.

Good technical credits, too: a fine, tense score from Klaus Badelt ("K-19"), sleek, attractive cinematography from Stuart Dryburgh and fine editing. The movie's look is bold and intense, but never too rapid-fire.

Not a flawless movie - it twists a few too many times for its own good now and then - but I found it very entertaining. One of the better films of the new year.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw a sneak peek tonight. I thought it was an interesting movie as well. Much better than I expected, and while many of it was predictable, it was good nonetheless. Farrell puts forth a strong performance, Pacino was good not great, Moynihan was very good also.

I would recommend it, not the best movie but alot better than your typical popcorn flick.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Recruit" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Recruit" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
All I want to say at this point before the film goes on wide release is to avoid the trailer as it gives too much of the story away and other key plot points.

~Edwin

Jason Beaumont

Auditioning
I saw a preview screening last night and was pretty dissapointed. I agree with Aaron that there are a few too many plot twists (but I would probably be in here complaining that it was too predictable if there weren't). My major gripe with the movie is actually Pacino. It seemed like he was sleepwalking through another role that was tailor built for him. Granted, it's not like he had a lot to work with, but then again he didn't have to take the part.

The audience really seemed to enjoy it, however, so I think it will do fairly well.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
All I want to say at this point before the film goes on wide release is to avoid the trailer as it gives too much of the story away and other key plot points.
I'm still interested in seeing the movie, but that spoiler really pissed me off so I may just wait for the DVD, especialy since there are quite a few movies coming out this year that I want to see.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the movie and didnt know much going in to it...
spoilers
can someone explain why they had the girl smuggling out ice 9 anyway..if she was good? is that a plot hole or is it explained?
also afer the foot chase.. that other guy shot at colin first..seems like he was bad too...
that farce sp? had me suspicious from the get go..
later she said he was the real noc...he was no noc in my eyes..arent nocs supossed to work alone? with onlu advice from higher up?..
again I loved the movie.. it just left a few questions in my mind...

Arman

Screenwriter
Although I agree that the foreshadowing is a bit heavy-handed, I love this film. The direction and performances are top rate. Al Pacino's over the top acting is a dynamite & joy to watch but Colin Farrel is even more brilliant with his consistently restraint, solid (against Pacino's hysterics) & very likeable performance.

It may not be no where near the quality compared to the many Oscar contenders release recently but I found The Recruit to be much enjoyable, more satisfying and a lot better than Die Another Day and/or XxX combined. If you like The Bourne Identity, you will like The Recruit and for sure will not be disappointed by this popcorn flick of the month.

The Recruit : ***/**** or (B+) or 8/10

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
stephen,

I take it that her job was to test the security of Langley. They set her up with a job and had her extract a dummy program. This was to verify the total security as though an enemy agent was trying to steal information.

Unbeknownst to her, Pacino had switched the dummy program with a real one. He then set Colin up to take her successfully extracted material under the guise that she was an enemy agent.

As to the other guy
he was her counterpart. Both of them were Non-Official Cover (NOC). The only person who wasn't a NOC was Colin, who was artifically washed out so that Pacino could control him and make him think he was a NOC.

Did anynoe catch some of the really stupid choices in their McGuffin? Langely's security is so tight that they don't allow disk drives or printers, but they leave USB ports open? :laugh: Its a nitpick that I don't fault them on, but it was a little silly.

Jeff*Gray

Grip
I have to agree with edwin and jeff, I went into to seeing this film knowing what was going to happen just because of the trailer. While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, I felt that the studio messed up by giving away the movie in the trailer, I mean do they think we're idiots or something?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I mean do they think we're idiots or something?
I don't know, but I certainly think whoever created that trailer was an idiot.

Although, as I said in the review thread, I think I probably could have seen the ending coming from a mile away even if I hadn't seen the trailer, it was fairly obvious. But still, I would have preferred not to know how it was going to end before it even started.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Another huge vote for "Worst Trailer That Gives Away Plot" award. I sat there, and as soon as Pacino re-contacted Farrell, I knew the ending. I was actually pissed through the rest of the movie, because it spoiled it for me.

Otherwise, it was a good movie. Also, I watched it in the VIP room at our local Cinemark theater. Highly recommended that you try this. For $10.00 (at the 4:00 p.m. showing), you get a comfortable reclining chair, waiter and plenty of leg room!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I have to admit that I didn't see that ending coming. From the trailers and how the movie started out, I thought the ending would be similar to that of "The Game" (David Fincher). The reason being is that the trailers and TV spots all drove home the comment, "Nothing is what it seems." I was actually expecting Pacino to jump up at the end stating that line.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some more bitching about spoilers, you're not going to believe this:

SPOILERS AHEAD

The description of this movie in a newspaper I frequently read (I believe it's the NY Daily News) goes something like this:

... about a young CIA recruit who suspects his instructor is a double agent for the chinese government.

:rolleyes

WTF?!

So I went in expecting James to begin suspecting Burke early, and have the movie built around that suspiscion, a la Training Day. As the movie progressed, I realised that 1) It was actually a major plot point 2) Chinese government?

Good competent thriller nonetheless, with a few flaws:

These people don't seem very professional to me. James mission was to get close to the girl and retrieve information. The way he did it, anyone could have done the same. Slipping out of bed on their first night together to check the computer was really silly, I am no spy but I believe patience is a huge virtue with this job.

What is it with all cell phone conversation?! :eek: I don't think a real agent would be caught dead using one for the job.

--
Holadem

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Hi all,

Sorry for bumping this thread. I just saw the movie on DVD, and I have to admit I totally bought the story. Didn't see the twist coming.

What I want to know is.... If Colin is kicked out of the "FARM" just so Pacino can get him to do his dirty work, does that mean Colin isn't a NOK or wasn't capable of being a NOK

This bit confused little 'ol me :)

Regards

AXE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks