What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was fair, I wasn't all that caught up in it, but it was cool to see House (Hugh Laurie) in the film.

Miranda Otto was in the film, and it looks like she took some of her income from the LOTR films and got her front teeth capped (less gappy now).

Giovanni Ribisi was okay in his usual odd/eccentric way.

Literally, Dennis Quaid was on auto-pilot in this film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

(Only recommend it as a rental sometime next year)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Flight of the Phoenix". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Two words take care of my review: completely unremarkable.

As Hollywood is fond of doing these days, they literally encapsulated the entire movie in the 2 minute trailer. I kept waiting for some major surprise or twist, yet what they gave us barely registered a ripple. It was an uneven ending that I hardly cared about by the time I got there.

This is not even close to the worst movie I've seen (even this year) but with so many other interesting choices (Lemony Snicket, Oceans 12) that I hadn't seen yet, I wish I had opted for them.

I would give the movie a C-, rental at best.

BobV

Second Unit
I concur, unremarkable. Not bad, but so-so. Giovanna Ribsi saves this film from the depths of mediocrity, in my opinion, and gave a solid performance as is expected from him. Predictable from the get-go and any surprises or variations in the story were already told in the trailer, save two...

...when Ribsi's character kills the captive, and finding out that he is a model plane designer, not a fullsize designer, although we all knoew something was coming that was rather unremarkable to say the least.

I'd give it a C+, only see it if you have nothing else to do and there's nothing else showing (and it's Christmas time so what does that tell you?).

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Take a trip with this homoerotic crew on a journey out of the desert. Dennis Quaid is the lead village person pilot at the helm of a cargo plane taking a recently fired crew back home. The plane unfortunately sustains serious damage when attempting to maneuver around a menacing wind/sand storm that leads to a crash inside the traceless Gobi Desert. Go west young man Go west.

On board is a Scottish yelp, a disgruntle women, a nerdy little no it all, a ghetto rapper with a patch over one eye, a country boy and an Indian only kidding. Water is rationed, people get on each others nerves, pep talks are told, decisions are made and all have to work together to get out of there life threatening predicament

The real star is that little no it all; he is what makes it worth seeing along with the good sound effects. I must warn you that there is a slow motion all man spotlight-dancing scene that is choreographed to an Outkast rap song. So prepare accordingly. Aside from this and some poor casting choices I would say that this was entertaining enough to feel satisfied with the outlay of cash. I’ve seen a hell of lot worse this year.

C

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I saw this the day after Christmas and liked it, although it didn't hold a candle to the original. And, unfortunately, Dennis Quaid is no Jimmy Stewart. I do like Dennis Quaid though, in some films, his last three roles though just didn't do it for me. I tbought he was terrible in "The Day After Tomorrow" and his rendition of Sam Huston in "The Alamo" just wasn't that great either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks