What's new

*** Official THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't help but comment on this film as I saw the on-line trailers and then during "Lost" this evening, they were really promoting it.

I've seen the Jimmy Stewart original many times and from what I've seen of the remake in the trailers, it's a glossier, louder with CGI and 5.1 audio redo aimed at the modern audience. They looked like they really tried, but I'm not sure it was worth it. Another Psycho?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
What surprises me is that Giovanni Ribisi seemed to try and channel Hardy Kruger in the role of the airplane designer. While I agree that it appears to be, as my wife put it, "ConAir 2" compared to the Jimmy Stewart version, I might go catch it as a simple distraction during last minute Christmas shopping.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I saw the trailer theatrically and thought it looked pretty good (not familiar with the original). I really thought the spots with Quaid and Ribisi introducing the clips during "Lost" last night were HOKEY, though.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Giovanni Ribisi is NOT Hardy Kruger. Not even close. Hopefully no one tries a bad English accent to try and imitate Peter Finch or Richard Attenborough. This remake was a bad enough idea already.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

I meant the overall look of the character, and I doubt if Tyrese will be attempting an english accent.;)

AlexCremers

Second Unit

Exactly, why on Earth is this being remade? I mean, why remake something that you know you can't improve.

------------
Alex Cremers

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator
I just don't see how this film can even come close to the original. I watch it at least two or three times a year. It is Jimmy Stewart at his finest and the supporting cast is amazing. The desert cinematography is on par with Leans Lawrence of Arabia in my opinion.

bob

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Flight of the Phoenix" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Flight of the Phoenix" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks