*** Official THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nelson Au, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I couldn't help but comment on this film as I saw the on-line trailers and then during "Lost" this evening, they were really promoting it.

I've seen the Jimmy Stewart original many times and from what I've seen of the remake in the trailers, it's a glossier, louder with CGI and 5.1 audio redo aimed at the modern audience. They looked like they really tried, but I'm not sure it was worth it. Another Psycho?

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

What surprises me is that Giovanni Ribisi seemed to try and channel Hardy Kruger in the role of the airplane designer. While I agree that it appears to be, as my wife put it, "ConAir 2" compared to the Jimmy Stewart version, I might go catch it as a simple distraction during last minute Christmas shopping.

3. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I saw the trailer theatrically and thought it looked pretty good (not familiar with the original). I really thought the spots with Quaid and Ribisi introducing the clips during "Lost" last night were HOKEY, though.

4. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Giovanni Ribisi is NOT Hardy Kruger. Not even close. Hopefully no one tries a bad English accent to try and imitate Peter Finch or Richard Attenborough. This remake was a bad enough idea already.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I meant the overall look of the character, and I doubt if Tyrese will be attempting an english accent.[​IMG]

6. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

Exactly, why on Earth is this being remade? I mean, why remake something that you know you can't improve.

------------
    Alex Cremers

7. Bob Spears

Bob Spears Stunt Coordinator

I just don't see how this film can even come close to the original. I watch it at least two or three times a year. It is Jimmy Stewart at his finest and the supporting cast is amazing. The desert cinematography is on par with Leans Lawrence of Arabia in my opinion.

bob

[​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Flight of the Phoenix" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Flight of the Phoenix" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy