What's new

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Nice to see Ebert had no problems with the digital projection. Although it's still my opinion that he should have written two reviews...one regarding the projection, and one regarding the actual film.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Good thought, Matt. It's hard to separate a review of the conditions from a review of the underlying story. And if you can't see past the conditions (rightly or wrongly) then you will miss some things in the story.

Last Sunday the sound was so bad at our church service that I couldn't honestly say what I felt about the music...the technical aspects were too bad to even notice.

Does he really even need to write another review for the film?? The acting and dialouge are the same, and so is everything else he had a problem with - well, except the projection of course, but still. He has made his points as to why he didnt like the movie, he doesnt need to do it again.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Vicky_M, are you going to McClurg? I didn't realize they had a Wed midnight showing. I can't stand in line for hours, so I'm hoping the line will have died down by Sunday matinee showing (9:30a). I'm taking my neices and newphews.

We're having a TPM DVD & Pizza party the night before (so I can teach them why they should love Star Wars using my best Manchurian Candidate brainwashing techniques) and then we go see the movie the next day. I REALLY hope there's not a long line at Sunday morning's show. I usually wait a week or two and catch a matinee show with few people, but Star Wars is one of the few things that brings me out to a theater (1-4 movies in the theater per year).

I'm glad that I live walking distance away from one of the few DLP theaters. The exact one where Ebert saw it in DLP.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
USA Today Review
3.5/4 :)
Been watching the original trilogy and TPM again this past week. The original trilogy has what one could consider stilted acting, banal lines and hideous one-liners from almost everyone. Coupled with Luke's whining, how did any of the critics panning EpII ever like the OT (or did they???) Makes you (or at least me) wonder...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's an interesting article from Carl Diorio at Variety.com:
----
With "Spider-Man" free-wheeling into a spot among the five biggest grossers of all time, the notoriously secretive seers at Lucasfilm Tuesday decided to explain their distribution strategy for "Stars Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones."
It will be a far more modest rollout than "Spider-Man" -- 6,000 screens compared with 7,500 for "Spider-Man" and 8,100 on "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."
"Clones" will mark the biggest digital bow ever for a major motion picture, with 94 digital screens included in worldwide rollout plans.
Tentpole pics like "Clones" normally have much higher marketing costs. But the "Star Wars" franchise is so well known that Lucas has historically resisted higher spending.
---
The full article is available here. .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott,
Please, just post excerpts of this article with a direct link due to copyright issues.
Crawdaddy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Mikah Cerucco: Vicky_M, are you going to McClurg?
Yep! As a matter of fact, I'm going down there in a little while. There are events happening starting in the morning, so I figure I'd better get down there. That means I'll be in line all day, seeing the midnight show, getting back in line as soon as I get out, so I'll be in line for the 9:30am Thursday show, then get back in line for the 3:30 show. I have a concert to go to on Thursday night, but I might be so dead tired that I won't make it.
I got an e-mail from my son, who lives in Kansas City. He's going to the midnight show there, then a later show Thursday (he took off work) and again on Saturday with his wife and 5 yr old daughter. He was 3 when I first took him to see Star Wars. We are both SW geeks :D. We saw Empire and Jedi together, but lived in different cities for TPM. I hope we can see Ep III together.
Less than 24 hours now...
Almost there, stay on target...
Vickie

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
funniest line yet in a review to me, full postive review HERE
By TODD LOTHERY, Staff Writer
The movie opens Thursday morning, with many shows at 12:01 a.m.
The critics have not been kind to "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones." Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+.
Roger Ebert's thumb refused to rise.
And A.O. Scott, the most astute of The New York Times' three-reviewer posse, wrote that George Lucas' "crowded, noisy cosmos is psychologically and emotionally barren."
To which your friendly News & Observer critic can only respond, "Who spat in y'all's Wheaties?"

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
Been watching the original trilogy and TPM again this past week. The original trilogy has what one could consider stilted acting, banal lines and hideous one-liners from almost everyone. Coupled with Luke's whining, how did any of the critics panning EpII ever like the OT (or did they???) Makes you (or at least me) wonder...
Everytime someone makes a criticism of the prequel trilogy someone always comes back with a comparison to the original trilogy whether it be dialogue, acting, or whatever to justify it. Let's just be honest here. The true difference between the OT and the PT are the characters.

In the original trilogy there was something about the characters that kept your interest. I think it was that they acted more "human" or the characters had great chemistry when they were together. These new characters are not interesting in the least and I feel nothing for them. It's like the characters importance come AFTER the special effects and visuals. When that happens something is wrong. If Padme had died in EP1 or EP2 I wouldn't feel a thing because her character is so blah who cares. Same goes for Mace Windu, Jar Jar, Qui-Gon (didn't feel a thing when he died). None of these characters bring anything worthwhile to the movie. And when the characters aren't interesting you never get any sense of danger or excitement because you simply don't care for them. Everyone knows Anakin, Yoda, and Obi Wan's fate so there's really no sense of danger when they get in trouble because you know they're not gonna die.

And after all this it leaves you nothing to focus on but great visuals and action sequences. Everything else in between is just a filler until the next action sequence comes. All that in a nutshell is why I feel the prequel movies so far are mediocre CGI highlight reels with a Star Wars label slapped on'em.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
I disagree slightly with you AJ, the one character I DO care about is Obi Wan. I think he is just great, although he did not get a lot to do in the first episode, he certainly gets the spotlight in Episode 2. Even though you know he is going to live, you don't know at what cost.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I'll have to agree on that one. Did any single scene in EpI even come close to Ben's death in IV? Heck I think I felt more when Biggs bought it in the trench than when Qui-Gon got run through. And personally, I never minded Luke's whining. He's just some punk kid in IV so I think it's rather appropriate, that and it makes it that much better in Jedi when he's all in black and single handedly annihilating Jabba's gang. Quite a bit of character development going on there. I'd even go so far as to say that by the time they escape the Death Star in ANH, Luke has already more or less quit his whining.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I agree about Obi-Wan.

I've always felt that although the gist of the entire Star Wars saga is the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, it is also about the failure and then redemption of Obi-Wan.

The OT left you with the feeling that Anakin's downfall was somewhat Obi-Wan's fault... and Obi-Wan did blame himself for it.

When Luke brings Vader back in ROTJ, both Anakin and Obi-Wan are redeemed.

So while we may know their fates, I can't wait to see how the actions of Obi-Wan and Ankain play out over the next two films.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Yes, I felt bad about Qui Gon's death in EpI, totally unexpected as well when I first watched it, I liked his character and think Liam Neeson was one of the best part of EpI. Just watched it last night, I really enjoy the film, regardless of how much people panned it.

EpI's characters were more formal, that was by design. I expect the characters in EpII to move more towards a less formal nature given the events unfolding. By III, with all hell breaking loose, I expect them to be the 'rebel' factor we see more of in the OT.

I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow, then post what I think of the characters, development and buy-in to what they are going through.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree that the problem is the characters. Qui-Gon's death still doesn't do anything for me...but every time I see old Ben smile and disappear, I feel like Luke..."Nooooo!"

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I can at least agree about Obi-wan. While I didn't care for his character too much in EP1 he got much better screentime and development in EP2. In the first 10 minutes you could already see Anakin and Obi-wan are at odds with each other, especially with Anakin's backtalking. I could also understand Anakin's frustration at Obi-wan. I know Obi-wan is Anakin's mentor but it seems more like he's over-protective and constantly riding Anakin instead of giving advice like a mentor should. This could also just be my perspective because I grew up with gung-ho Marine for a father and I can identify with it lol.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
This morning, our local radio station was promoting their midnight showing of Episode 2. While they were talking about it, the one DJ says that while lots of people complained and bashed Episode 1, the early reviews for Episode 2 were even worse! I have no idea where he got that info from!

Personally, I am really banking on Ron's review. I guess I will find out for myself tomorrow night!

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I'd blame Yoda for Anakin's training more than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan 'graduates' from Jedi apprenticeship and then in the same 5 minutes takes on an apprentice? No way Yoda should have allowed that. 'Agree with you the counsil does, your apprentice Skywalker will be' was a bad call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks