What's new

*****Official 'Star Wars Episode I' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
You must differentiate between bad acting and bad WRITING! When you have lines like "yippee" and "I'll spin, thats a good trick" you can't blame the actor!
I have enough nephews to know that kids really do talk like that.
Besides, if I remember correctly doesn't Han Solo in Star Wars:IV say, "Yahoo, you're all clear kid" to Luke before destroying the Death Star. Or how about Chewbacca's tarzan yell in Star Wars:VI.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, everybody keeps praising ESB as this dark, mature movie, but Han and Leia have some really corny dialogue.
Leia: Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking
nerf-herder!
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?
Han Solo: That's a good story. I think you just can't bear to let a gorgeous guy like me out of your sight.
Princess Leia Organa: I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain!
[Chewbacca laughs]
Han Solo: Laugh it up, fuzzball!
Han Solo: Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a
goodbye kiss?
Princess Leia Organa: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!
Han Solo: I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was able to finally figure out the proper sequence for accessing the 1138 Easter Egg on my Sony DVD player. I pressed 11 and enter, 3 and enter, 8 and enter. This was much different than the way it was described at DVD Review.
(Start of rant) Why do the studios, or who ever makes these decisions, think Easter Eggs are a nice feature. They are a pain in the ass inconvenience. If it is on the DVD, go through the menu. (rant over)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Richard,
Aw, c'mon, I liked those lines from Empire. Well, I'll concede that "laser brain" is a bit wince-inducing, but nothing compared to the clunkiness of Episodes One and Four. To be fair, I still stand by my earlier assertion that when the title "The Empire Strikes Back" was announced, it sounded just as corny as "Attack of the Clones". People just got used to it since the movie turned out to be pretty good.
Also, despite being filled with stiff readings of awkward dialog, Episode Four is still my favorite of the bunch.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is still having trouble with the easter egg, here is the way I did it. Go to the options screen and press:
01(enter)
01(enter)
03(enter)
08(enter)
Press enter if your player needs it. I did this on a Playstation 2. I think the thing that everyone is having problems with is pressing the "0" in the last three sequences.
Hope this helps.
[Edited last by David_N on October 22, 2001 at 09:31 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard a good explanation for this, but maybe someone can fill me in. How exactly does Anakin get past the shields in order to destroy the droid control ship? Or is this just a gaping hole in the continuity that Lucas couldn't be troubled to patch?
confused.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

David Oliver

Second Unit
I was wondering that, too. This movie is so damn frustrating, because of what it could be. But I don't want to debate the movies problems here. The DVD is indeed one of the best, if not the best I have seen in terms of presentation. The menus are probably the best (I like that, for example when you go to Chapter Selection screen it is not always the same). It looks great, sounds great and has the extras. I know I am repeating what others have said.

Miles_W

Second Unit
I have not read the entire thread so please don't shoot me if this has been brought up... But during the THX intro... did anyone else hear Darth Vader breathing?
if not go back and listen he is there!
biggrin.gif

Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Got mine on Friday, the 5.1 EX kicks booty, I recently purchased a new center channel to move my curent one to the rear (Klipsch RC3 (Rear)/RC3II (front). It was totally worth it.
Overall I liked it, though a few things threw me off.
I want the Theatre release as a stand alone and an option to watch the 'extened' version ala T2.
The overall film qulity looked soft to me.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
To address the shields question:
I think physical objects can pass through the shields, just not energy. Just as the batte-droids can step through the Gungan's shield, Annakin can fly his ship through the shield but not shoot through it.
Of course, this raises the obvious question: why don't the Naboo fly though the control ship's shield and then attack? Especially with the open docking bays that lead directly to the generator (who the heck was the architect anyway?) it would be an obvious plan of attack.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Re - the shields question.
Watch the left side of the hanger carefully - there is a quick shot of the droid ships exiting just before Anakin goes through.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup
[Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 22, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---- it would be an obvious plan of attack.-----
I guess it was only obvious to a guy with more midichlorians than red blood cells. Guess they didn't have the sharpest tools in the shed flying fighters during the days of the Republic. That's why the EMPIRE took over in only three episodes. :)

Brandon B

Second Unit
Anyone else notice this? On my copy, the chapter menu uses podrace and tatooine rockwork arch formations to frame the chapter glimpses.
On my friend's copy, the hovering booths in the republic senate chamber are used.
Are there more different versions? Are they all on each disk and randomly selected? Anyone know?
BB

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The multi menus are on each disc 1. You should see the other two every once and a while. If you get tired of seeing the same one, you can choose. On the Attention screen, hit 1, 2, or 3 on your remote.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Overall i liked this movie and the disc is excellent. Definetly one of the top 3 discs I have soundwise. The movie could have ben "more" as others have said but i think the final lightsaber battle between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Quai-Gon was one of the best scenes of all 4 movies. I love that scene and have played it many times already. Sounds fantastic with my dual SVS subs too!!

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
When I first saw the Phantom Menace in theaters, I was incredibly disappointed, like many people. Now that I've had a chance to watch it and re-watch it on DVD, my mind has changed completely.
I like The Phantom Menace. I think it's a pretty damn good movie.
Those are words I'd never thought I'd say. Looking at it from the perspective of it being the first part in a three part story, like Lucas intended, I came to really enjoy this film. The most common complaints are about it being too juvenile and happy, which I shared until recently, make sense when you emphasize the fact that this sweet, innocent (annoying) little boy is Darth Vader. I repeat: He's Darth f'in Vader. Episodes II & III be the darker films everyone wants, and the prequel story as a whole will be better because of the contrast with Episode I's bright, happy veneer. In the next two films, we see how two of the heroes of Episode I (Anakin and Senator Palpatine) turn into pure evil. Personally, I can't wait. If Lucas does it right (and keeps Jar-Jar's appearances to a minimum), IMHO, the next two films could be the best Star Wars films, period.
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Brandon,
There are three different "environments" for the menus on disc one. Tatooine, Coruscant, and Naboo. Which set of menus comes up is random when you spin up the disc. There is a mildly frustrating Easter Egg way of telling your player which set of menus you want.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
----we see how two of the heroes of Episode I (Anakin and Senator Palpatine) turn into pure evil.----
Uhh...something tells me that Senator Palpatine is already there when it comes to "pure evil". :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have enough nephews to know that kids really do talk like that. Besides, if I remember correctly doesn't Han Solo in Star Wars:IV say, "Yahoo, you're all clear kid" to Luke before destroying the Death Star. Or how about Chewbacca's tarzan yell in Star Wars:VI.
Thats exactly my point! BAD WRITING/DIALOGUE. That should be EXPECTED in TPM, since we had plenty of it in Episodes 4-6! So the fact that a boy really does talk like that really seems to contradict your statement about the bad dialogue. Besides, even if your nephew would say something like that, should we really expect the future Darth Vader to???
The fact that Jake Lloyd had to deliver bad lines should not be held against him. BTW, I think he looked great during the pod race! Good facial expressions, very natural and believable, IMO.
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on October 22, 2001 at 08:53 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks