*****Official 'Star Wars Episode I' Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_G, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    I dont know if there's an OFFICIAL thread for Episode I's actual release, but I didn't see one in the last 3 pages, and since this is one hot item I figured if it wasn't in the first 3 pages, it wasn't [​IMG].
    As always, I won't say who got me the DVD early, but one day is no big deal. Unfortunately, I'm at work so I can't comment on the audio, but the picture looked absolutely STUNNING. I don't watch a lot of movies on my computer; I usually save that for listening to commentaries while I'm working on my web site. However, I always pop in the DVD when I get it shipped to work and I gotta say, this is one of the best pictures I've ever seen. I took screenshots using PowerDVD, but silly me didn't set the save feature to "file" so all the shots I took went to the clipboard. Sorry. I'll post some later.
    Let's talk DVD-ROM. I don't like the fact that you're forced to use their InterActual browser to access the web site. It crashed on me when switching from video to web and back to video (and thank God I was using Win2K or my system would be hosed). There's a chat site for different aspects of the DVD, a VERY nice Episode II slideshow Quicktime Movie (hint, you need Quicktime installed), and other goodies. You can see what's available by going to dvd.starwars.com yourself and check out the main menu of all the features.
    The commentary isn't bad. In my opinion it's better than the Definitive (ha!) laserdisc set from 10 years ago (wow!). I'll listen to it more when I'm working on my web site later on tonight, once I peel myself off the couch from listening to the audio on this disc [​IMG].
    This is a nice set. I'm itching to hear the audio vs. the laserdisc I have from Japan. I'm glad that the teaser, trailer, and TV spots are intact. Now I can scrap the Quicktime movies from the CDs I archived them on. Also, there's a new THX logo (finally!). It's the lighting/T1000 logo, but modified for DVD rather than the theatrical version.
    Enjoy!
    Mike
    ------------------
    Windows XP Resource
    Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
    Desktop pic of NYC
    [Edited last by Mike_G on October 15, 2001 at 02:53 PM]

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Yea...got mine USPS today from buy.com - cool. [​IMG]

3. Scott Gaffney

i talked a store manager into selling me a copy of TPM on saturday morning. it felt like a drug deal!. but, made for a great saturday night watching it. great video but AWESOME audio. the center rear channel MAKES the movie. the pod race is all it is cracked up to be. havne't been able to figure out the easter egg yet, has anyone?
    sdg
    ------------------

4. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

5. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
  6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

It's no big deal that I didn't get TPM early, but I will be up early tomorrow! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

7. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

For the easter eggs go to thedigitalbits.com and find the TPM review. Theres a link to the easter eggs in the review.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

8. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Mine didn't show from DVD Empire but I'm sure it'll be here tomorrow. Strange, I haven't had a preorder arrive from DVD Empire since the Sept 11 tragedy. Oh well, if it keeps the nation safer, I'll go with it.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It is a most impressive package indeed. I had thought the trailers were in 5.1 though, not surround. The menus are the best I have seen.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Forgot to mention that the Toronto Sun has a whole page devoted to the Episode I release. Most unusual.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

11. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

where did you get it early??? please post and email me at [email protected]
    PaulW

12. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

13. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

but i want it today!!!
    :)
    PaulW

14. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

*looks at watch*
    I can go pick this puppy up in exactly 15 hours, 53 minutes

15. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Mike_G: You mention the web page dvd.starwars.com . . . Do you have to have the DVD in a DVD-ROM drive to access this site? I couldn't access the site just by typing that into my browser.
    I don't have DVD on either my home or work computers so it looks like I'll be out of luck unless someone can help!
    Rob
    ------------------
    My Equipment

16. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Kami,
    That gives me an idea, Walmart Supertore® is open 24 hours, will they sell it on 12:01 am?
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

17. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

18. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Walmarts in Oklahoma City usually bring out the new release cart out around 12:01am Tuesday mornings. They did this when the VHS originally came out last year.

19. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

I know how you feel PaulW...I ordered mine in June and Amazon finally shipped it today, but at least I chose 2nd day air!
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Sirdvd.com
    DVD-Community.com

20. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Menus are definitely the shit. And its not audio....its a sonic attack on your senses....man that 5.1 just kills.
    "most impressive."
    And I cant wait to see the EP 2 teaser trailer on Nov 9 !
    [Edited last by Alex-C on October 15, 2001 at 05:54 PM]