What's new

*****Official 'Star Wars Episode I' Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert: Mine shipped today from Amazon as well, also with 2nd day air. Amazon.Com says it will arrive Wenesday, but UPS says it will arrive tomarrow. Who should I trust?
Mike_G: You mention the web page dvd.starwars.com . . . Do you have to have the DVD in a DVD-ROM drive to access this site? I couldn't access the site just by typing that into my browser.
You need to use the DVD's built-in web browser.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Cool, Scott!!!
I received mine in the mail today, which was fine by me. Given I have the LD, I wanted to keep it as a present.
Well, THAT lasted half a day. Tonight, I had to open it.
biggrin.gif

It looks fabulous (I'd say better than the LD) and sounds pretty good (still need to compare that to the LD - which is outstanding in that regard).
Be very careful opening the package. I found the center spindle on the first disc to be very weak.
As a result, it has three big fat scratches on it. I tried playing it regardless - sometimes they will work fine - but no dice.
But, durn it, I wish the damn disc hadn't gotten scratched! I missed half of the Duel of the Fates and about a third of the rest of the battle! Including the throne room scene, the final scenes around the control ship, etc. Argh!
furious.gif

Ah well. Already sent e-mail to vendor.
Mike
[Edited last by Mike Voigt on October 15, 2001 at 08:09 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Well, mine came today from Buy.com. I was actually hoping that The Godfather Collection would come today, since it shipped one week ago from DDD (they were slow this time
frown.gif
). Buy.com hadn't even listed Episode I as having shipped, but here both it and Godfather were! I demoed the end lightsaber fight, and I've got to say it's one of the very best soundtracks I've ever heard, probably the best (Saving Private Ryan DTS is awesome, but seems to maybe rely on bass TOO much). Hats off to George & Co. (and Van Ling!) for such a great DVD! I just wish the behind the scenes documentary had been TWO hours instead of one :).
-Tom

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I really enjoyed the behind the scenes featurettes. The extras on this disc are extremely well done! I loved the way they basically built on one another to tell the complete story of how this film was made from all angles.
Todd
------------------
I want the people to know, they still have two out of three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad! -Mars Attacks

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I heard a new excuse why you cannot buy early. I went to circuit city to see if they will have them in stock for tomorrow. I went to the back register and saw 2 employees marking a huge case of them. I asked if I can get one. They said they couldn't because the computer would not recognize the upc. Does anyone know if this is legit? I have heard of other people getting stuff early at CC and never having a problem.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Even so my sister bought the DVD for this eariler(I was allowed to watch a good lot of the extras already), I'm still going to buy it tommorow when I get my allowace(still don't have a job, so meh). I plan on getting it at Target(a new Super Target just open near my house), along with the Godfather Epic.
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

Erin McClure

Auditioning
Yes, todd. The Circuit City excuse is true. They really can't sell media before the release date. The register will not allow it.

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
Is it me or did the picture seem a little soft? Also, I noticed some edge enhancement as well. All in all, the video was less than perfect. In comparison, "The Mummy Returns" had a better video transfer.
Rajiv...

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
There was a crowd of 30 people waiting outside Best Buy for them to open. When the employees unlocked the door the whole crowd made a beeline to TPM. I was surprised to see so many people there, perhaps sales will be stronger than expected.

Craig W

Second Unit
Picked mine up at Target this morning on the way to work. It is going to be a long day.
I sense something... A feeling that I have not felt since (I bought my DVD player in Feb 98.)
This day has seen the end of (the wait). It will soon see the end of (pan and scan).
BTW, some of us here at HTF have been pretty hard on Lucas, but how about giving him some respect for releasing the movie in widescreen only on the big release day.
[Edited last by Craig W on October 16, 2001 at 01:03 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Is it me or did the picture seem a little soft? Also, I noticed some edge enhancement as well. All in all, the video was less than perfect. In comparison, "The Mummy Returns" had a better video transfer.
Rajiv...
I actually did notice this, even right at first! This is not a perfect video transfer, but who cares when you're taking in all the glorious visual details of George Lucas' universe! It's too bad this installment wasn't up to snuff story and actingwise, but we'll always have the scenery and the sound :).
-Tom

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I hate to do this but... I got mine Friday :)
--
Holadem - I don't get many chances to brag...

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
There aren't many DVDs that make me go to the store after class on a Tuesday, but this was one of them. I think the DVD is awesome, and I haven't even seen half of it.
For the people who said the 5.1 sound was lower than the laserdisc, you can just check out the 2.0 mix on the disc and hear that that one is higher than the 5.1 mix.
Yea, Star Wars is finally on DVD!
Star Wars on DVD: The Screen Shot

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
So far I have watched the film, the deleted scenes, and the trailers. All I have to say is this DVD is my new favorite. Anyone who thinks the sound is lacking must really need to see a Doctor. :)
I thought my SVS was going to rip the damn house down. The soundstage on this disc is incredible and I can't think of one DVD i have heard that beats it. You do have to turn the volume up a bit, but when you do.....watch out!!!
biggrin.gif

I'm going to check out the documentary in a bit.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

David Judah

Screenwriter
I thought overall the transfer was good. I noticed a bit of EE in a few scenes, but certainly nowhere near the amount used on alot of releases. Inconsistent is the word I would use to describe the disc as a whole. Some scenes are flat out incredible and others have some grain(whether it was from the transfer or on the original I don't know). Shadow detail and color are excellent, IMO.
I think all of our expectations and the amount of time we had to wait is making us more critical than we normally would be.
Also, I have to give Lucasfilm an A for effort for going back and fully completing the effects on the deleted scenes, which no doubt took alot of time and expense.
The surround track is very dynamic and enveloping, IMO--I was not disappointed at all despite some member's criticisms.
I think it is a great overall package, but of course, we will all nitpick about some things because it is a Star Wars release and some of us will hold it to a higher standard.
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on October 16, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Like Neil stated earlier, I too thought I read several online reviews saying the "legendary trailers and teaser were anamorphic and in 5.1"...They are anamorphic but only 2.0 surround. Any others read that they would be in 5.1? Maybe it was just my delusions of grandeur? So I was a little disappointed in that aspect but tonight plan on giving the disc a more detailed spin.
------------------

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Guys, let's try to focus the Episode 1 discussion in this thread.
- Steve

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I found myself buying this title because of all the hoopla about the sight and sound experience. Truthfully, it was quite an interesting journey, though not without some surprises. First, the image did seem rather 'soft' compared to other recent vintage transfers and second, my disk froze twice at the layer change of about 55:30 or so. Did anyone else have this experience? I'm using a Toshiba 5109 for playback.
Overall, a good experience with limited storyline and disappointing performances from a couple of the main characters. I saw the selection process for the boy in the extras and am not convinced this was the best even of the three that made the final cut. The shameless pandering with Jar Jar to the pre-teen crowd may have been even insulting to some todlers. Otherwise, I liked the stretching of technology (Lucas' strength) and the innovative approach to this DVD as a product. Maybe another collaboration with friend 'Steven S.' is in order for more of a balance between good storytelling and technology for future episodes. I know that this is not going to happen for EPII but I suspect EPIII is still unresolved...
- Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks