What's new

*** Official 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' DVD Announcement/Discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The DVD disnt blow me away like the TPM DVD, but I think it is because I was spoiled by the riched of FOTR EE. The documentaries on this I found great, especially the puppets to pixels, since I have a degree in that stuff.
I wish the sound doc was longer, as what was there was great.

And as far as Lucas being hard to work with. I dont think he would be hard to work with, but I think he may be TOO picky and particular, and that is what is difficult.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Same thing will happen to TTT:EE
I think what Aaryn is pointing out is that the extras on The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended Edition) will not have the same punch as the extras on The Fellowship of the Ring.

As with The Phantom Menace, there was so much doubt as to whether what George wanted could in fact be pulled off, it made for a really interesting extra material.

I, too, believe the same thing will happen for The Lord of the Rings.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but has there been a double amaray cover made for Episode II yet? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks!

Jeff

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I can't understand why anyone would want the thicker case to take up more shelf space.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Finally got around to putting a dent into the extras on the disc.
I don't know why I think this, but the Commentary for ep 2 is ten times better than the original. But, rather than record these guys seperatly, I wish they'd put them all in one room, so they could play off each others thoughts. Maby have a continuity coordinator in there so they odn't start something and not finish it later...
Also, some ideas for Episode 3. We've got "The Begining", lets have "The End", as well. It's only fitting :). I would also like to see an hour documentary dealing with the filming of the blue screen. I know I couldn't react to nothing there, it would be interesting to see how the actors learn to cope with this ability.
Finally, since Ep 3 is the last SW film, it would be nice to have two extra commentaries. One with the actors of Episodes 1-3, and one with the actors of Episode 4-6, just to get their opinions on, "So THAT'S how we got there" type thing...
Well, those are my opinions :). Hope Van Ling might be able to pass the ideas along if he's eying this thread :).
Oh yeah, anyone notice how suddenly defensive George got in the 3rd Web Documentary when asking about the Ep 3 scene they where filming? Wonder if the camera guy got to see it? :).

Andre F

Screenwriter
I finally watched this last night (for the first time) and I thought it was much better than Episode 1. In fact my Wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit...

JaleelK

Second Unit
It sounds like the HT setup has a lot to do with the quality of the picture. I am using a ISF calibrated 47" panny rptv and I would have to agree with Ron-P on this one. I think it is arguably the best looking DVD to date. Very sharp and crisp. The sound is well done as well, but that was to be expected. And finally, getting the DVD for an unheard of 9.99, how could you not put this DVD at the top of your list.
As far as sound goes on ATOC, I to was disappointed, the bass is way to boomy for my liking and not really defined.
Picture quality is good, verp sharp and refined, although not very detailed, some far away back ground images seems kind of washed out and unclear. While I like this movie, but tells apart of the story in the Star Wars saga, something in this production seems wrong. I think Lucas might have gone overboard with the digital stuff, some of the scenes just don't look real. Some scenes in the movie just kind of had the "Final Fantasy" look to it, great animation, but still not the real thing, especially the Clone Wars scene, kind of look like a glorified video game. CGI should be used to enhance a movie to make it look more natural and real, ala LOTR.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I can't understand why anyone would want the thicker case to take up more shelf space
Some of us are not "space challenged". And some of us may not like the thin double keepcases with the swinging disc holder. I too am interested in finding a Cover Art insert for the double Alpha keepcase.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
sorry if this has been aswered, but i dont think i can go through all 30 pages :D
i have R4 DVD of AOTC and to me, the pic quality is not that great, the CGI shots looks fantasic, but the scenes with live actors, it has a soft image and isnt sharp at all. I simply cannot see how this DVD got top marks for picture quality in almost all reviews.
then again, as i said i have the R4, can someone with the R1 with a good eye check their copy and give me an honest non fanboy opinion on the picture quality ?

Dion

Stunt Coordinator
Some scenes in the movie just kind of had the "Final Fantasy" look to it, great animation, but still not the real thing, especially the Clone Wars scene, kind of look like a glorified video game. CGI should be used to enhance a movie to make it look more natural and real, ala LOTR.
This, IMHO, is a matter of personal taste. I personally prefer the stylised look of AOTC to the natural look of LOTR.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
This, IMHO, is a matter of personal taste. I personally prefer the stylised look of AOTC to the natural look of LOTR.
I agree with that. EP3 will be the last time all the vidid images and color will be seen. Everything is much different when the dictatorship in fully underway.

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
I picked up AOTC yesterday, and I have to say that Disc 1 is the worst DVD I've ever bought. It takes numerous tries to get my player to properly read it in order to get it to start playing (anyone else having this problem?). Once it finally plays, it looks and sounds good. I noticed a couple of skips (or jumps in playback). So far, from what I've seen in Disc 2, it plays nicely and it is interesting.

This movie is far better than "Phantom Menace" but, to me, it still does not compare to any of the three originals.

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
It's an RCA 5215P. None of my other discs have had problems loading, including boots.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Anyone know the deal with the subtitle tracks? 1 is English, and one of the other English tracks identifies the speaker during commentary. But I can't figure out what the other English track is, and none of the foreign language tracks works on my Onkyo player.

Is this a player specific problem? And why isn't there any description of the subtitle tracks anywhere to be found?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know the deal with the subtitle tracks? 1 is English, and one of the other English tracks identifies the speaker during commentary. But I can't figure out what the other English track is, and none of the foreign language tracks works on my Onkyo player.
The other English track is probably the Alien dialogue subtitles, which are locked on during normal playback of the movie.

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, I did a search but I don't think its working correctly. On the options page choose the thx logo and enter the famous 1138 and enjoy the deleted scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks