What's new

*** Official 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' DVD Announcement/Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There's a hidden menu item... ...in Dex's Kitchen that consists of a still gallery from an amusingly low-tech campus marketing campaign for the movie and web site. Go to the Dex's Kitchen screen, select "Main Menu" and then move to the left.
Apologies if someone aleady covered this one.

Regards,

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Is it my imagination or does Obi Wan bear a striking resemblance to the singer George Michaels :) I just thought that was funny when I looked at the DVD cover.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Okay, didn't want to start a new thread here so I have resurrected this old warhorse!!

I was wondering if there's been any suggestion that the original Star Wars is on its way to DVD any time before 2006?

In Episode I's special features there's a tiny clip from Episode IV of Han shooting Greedo and the quality is VHS. Fair enough.

However, in Episode II there's a clip where Obi-Wan talks about the clone wars and it is PRISTINE from what I could see.

So maybe it just came from a different print, but I wondered if within the last year some kind of hi-def, cleaned up transfer has been made?

Okay, I'll get my coat...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
That scene does look good Theo. I'm guessing these transfers have already been made??? just waiting for the time for commentaries, documentaries etc...for 2005/06 release?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well, when I visited the Magic and the Myth exhibit over the summer, I noticed that they were playing OT clips on DVD players. I don't about the OT before 2006 though.

Also, has anyone checked out the online text commentary yet? There are some pretty interesting tidbits.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
While I have no doubt that Apple's closed nature contributes to the situation, the fact remains that InterActual has nevertheless gotten at least one DVD to work when pressured (Paul McCartney basically forced them to write a downloadable plug-in to enable his Back in America DVD, there's no reason the exact same plug-in couldn't be adapted to work for all DVDs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I didn't know that such a plug-in existed. Thanks for the information. It would be interesting to get an anwser from InterActual themselves.

As an aside, Lucasfilm worked with Apple to create a page for the Episode II DVD-ROM exclusive trailer "Mystery" that worked similiar to InterActual's detection software. That required a totally different infrastructure to the PC DVD-ROM site, so I didn't consider such a plug-in. Corporate politics to blame?

Seung Kim

Agent
All I can say is that Episode I was ruined by Jar Jar Binks. And now Episode II is forever ruined by the acting ability of Hayden Christensen, aka: Anakin Skywalker. Every scene that he was in, it was very irritating to watch. End of story.
I wonder who will ruin the Episode III. Any votes?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Seung,
With all due respect....are you kidding about Hayden Christenson ruining Ep. 2???? Guess we didn't watch the same performance. I think you will find most of the people here on this forum who didn't like Ep. 2, faulted some of the dialogue but not his performance.
Since you've had bad experiences the past 2 Star Wars films...maybe you should skip watching Ep. 3 and save $8.:)

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Did any else notice the removal of the "smooth like you" line in the DVD release of EP 2? In the theatrical release, when they are at the sea side, Anakin says, "I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating--not like
you. You're soft and smooth".

But in the DVD release it has been changed to, "everything here is smooth" and then he touches Padme's skin. I guess George was offended at the giggles and groans at the teater during that line.

As far as I'm concerned, that whole "sea side" scene cold have been removed. The picnic scene is, at least, tolerable. It's better written and acted and shows the two actually connecting, instead of making Anakin looking like a stalker. Both scenes weren't really needed.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
In the IMAX release it was edited to cut out Anakin's terrible terrible line about "you're soft and smooth" or whatever it was. I actually like the IMAX cut best... I was really hoping that's what would be on the DVD. I'm usually all for maintaining the theatrical release particularly with the original SW trilogy, but that line was nice to have omitted.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I agree the line was exactly what I saw in theaters, and I saw it five times. At least that's how it was on the celluloid version. I don't believe he ever said "Not like you. You're soft and smooth." He did however also say "and it gets everywhere" which was left out in the quote above. That was the only part that ever got any giggles in the theatres I saw it in, and I'm pretty sure it was meant too.
Maybe the giggles interfered with you hearing the next line correctly...or it's another case of subjective memory.
Also, I wouldn't want to see AOTC cut down any more than it was already for the original theatrical release. I've heard people who saw the IMAX cut complain about all the cutting. As it was the love story was almost taken out completely and should have had more in it, not less. Having them marry at the end without any scenes of them alone together would pretty much be the equivalent of them spontaneously deciding to have sex with each other in the middle of the Clone War. Not that I would have minded that.:)
If you listen to the commentary, Lucas explains Anakin is supposed to be awkward with Padme and she with him to a degree. Just because he's not James Bond(or Han Solo for that matter) with women doesn't mean it's badly written or Hayden is a bad actor. It just means you can't identify with or don't understand the character. I've found people who were popular in school have trouble with it, and people who weren't get it right away. It was Lucas' chance to do some of the teenage (American Graffiti-esque) stuff he cut out of the original Star Wars.) The movie goes out of its way to portray Anakin as vulnerable, and yet people still are pissed he's not Superman. Face it. If Anakin was perfect, he wouldn't fall to the dark side would he?
From the beginning Lucas told us the new trilogy wasn't going to be as Black and White, Good/Evil as the original and that's part of why people don't like the new ones as much I think. Some of us find it interesting, however. Or we just have fun because its Star Wars!! LOTR is Black and White, and people like that, especially in a time when most of the US wants to start bombing the Middle East again.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I swear I heard the line, "Not like you. You're soft and smooth" in the theater. Cause I remember busting out laughing (as did a great percentage of the theater). But, in case it was subjective memory (which it could have been), I did a search on Google for [star wars "you're soft and smooth"] and found a bunch of movie reviews (including Roger Ebert) that quoted the line in their reviews.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I swear I heard the line, "Not like you. You're soft and smooth" in the theater. Cause I remember busting out laughing (as did a great percentage of the theater). But, in case it was subjective memory (which it could have been), I did a search on Google for [star wars "you're soft and smooth"] and found a bunch of movie reviews (including Roger Ebert) that quoted the line in their reviews
The reviews misquoted; I saw AOTC eight times in the theater on both celluloid and digital, and the line was "Everything here (ie, Naboo) is soft and smooth".

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Maybe the line was like that in the script. Don't know for sure, but it seems that critics like Ebert are given scripts to refer to. For example, his Pearl Harbor review contains so many quotes, you may think he's either an expert on the film or has a very good memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks