What's new

*** Official SHREK 2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
In regards to the use of "Living la Vida Loca", I give the writers and animators the benefit of the doubt that this was planned way before the whole William Hung version of the song came to invade the airwaves and make the song even more annoying than it should have been.

Edit - I stand corrected. William Hung sang "She Bangs" and not "Living la Vida Loca"

StephenA

Screenwriter
I just saw it and loved it. Another thing that I think was a reference was when Puss N Boots fought the guards. To me it seemed like he did a few moves like Yoda did in Attack of the Clones when fighting Count Dooku.

And am I the only one who thinks that the person who released the doves when Shrek and Fiona first arrived at the castle looked a lot like Rodney Dangferfield?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about the Frankenstein reference "IT's Alive!" and I kinda got a Bride of Frankenstein feel with the little fairies in the jars.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

I'm going to toss some stuff out because it seemed very familiar and I want to know also.

Was it King Kong or Mighty Joe Young or Iron Giant? It had to have been a Fantasy or SciFi picture they took it from.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie again, and laughed ever harder at many of the scenes, many with Puss-n-boots.

I could not stop myself from laughing, even 30 seconds after the Catnip "that's not mine" throwaway gag was over. I tried to keep my laughter in check, but I just started laughing even harder, and then others around me kept laughing and we eventually petered out on the laughter from that one gag, but it was funny stuff.

I finally saw the Donkey revelation in the middle of the end credits sequence, that was pretty hilarious, especially Donkey's bemused grin about what had happened and what showed up.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say I was very impressed with this movie. As many have said Puss was the highlight of the show. One of my favorite parts was when the giant Gingerbread Man is trying to drink out of the giant "farbucks coffee" cup and all the people run out screeming to the farbucks across the street.:)

Oh yea: I was glad that All Star wasn't to be found in the actual movie.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
They should've replaced Vida Locas with She Bangs so we can get a William Hung spoof.

What's Catnip?

PS. They should've made the Doves a John Woo joke.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some cats, catnip drives them nuts, euphorically speaking. Thus, the parallels of catnip to drugs found on Puss-n-Boots in the "Knights" clip, plus his quick denial, made it funny.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Since my whole family loved the first one, we are all looking forward to this sequel, but first we'll catch Bowie live (Oslo June 18th), and who knows, perhaps we'll hear Changes :).

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Shrek took first place at the box office again this week. Beat out Day After Tommorrow to keep the crown. Over $200mil in 10days:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Actually regarding William Hung, "She Bangs", and incorporating that as a spoof into Shrek 2, it might have been funny if Puss-n-Boots began that song in William Hung's voice, then cleared his throat ie. cough up a hairball, then resumed the song in his normal, better, proper voice.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Loved the movie, liked it as much as the first, almost but just as much.

And yes, those that haven't seen it yet, hang in for the credits!

The babies, gives a new meaning to Dragon Ass...lol

G2

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I too wish there had been more of Puss in Boots. Maybe a spin off would be in order?

I recall having the same reaction to Shrek's use of "All Star" in the same way others are to "Livin' La Vida Loca." Now that we're on the second movie it seems clear the creators intentionally used a worn out song. It's somehow consistent with the irreverence of the films. Can't really put my finger on HOW but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks