What's new

*** Official "SHALLOW HAL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this movie yet. It looks to be another Farrelly Bothers romp. And how can you go wrong with Jack Black and Gwyneth Paltrow?

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
NO!! I think Jack Black is amazingly annoying and terribly unfunny. It's all bad attitude without any real wit- either you buy his obnoxious guy insult schtick or you don't and I just don't. Tenacious D sucks too. Something for all the quasi-hipsters to latch onto to feel cool. I'm not impressed.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Possible potential for a half-decent movie.... Looks like "wait for DVD rental" material here -- doesn't look like it would justify theater prices.
------------------
Penguins don't come from next door! They come from the Antarctic!
My miniscule DVD collection

Shane, let us know how you really feel. :)
As for me, I'm not sure if I'll catch this one in the theater or wait for the DVD. It does look funny though.
WiGgLe
biggrin.gif

------------------
My DVD List
[Edited last by William G. Lipe on October 24, 2001 at 11:17 PM]
[Edited last by William G. Lipe on October 24, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really like Jack Black too, ever since he got his arm blown off by Bruce Willis in The Jackal with that big ass cannon, I said to myself "This guy has a future!"
biggrin.gif

And who can pass up Gwyneth looking her hottest in this film, in the shots when she looks like herself that is.
yum.gif

------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not, though I'm willing to be surprised. The Farrellys have really tanked it since There's Something About Mary; between the painfully unfunny Me, Myself And Irene and their live-action segments in Osmosis Jones, I think they learned the wrong lesson from TSAM's success. Gross-out stuff is only funny when the comic timing and setup is good, which hasn't been the case lately.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Jason,
I think there may be some hope. If I'm not horribly misinformed, Shallow Hal will be rated PG-13, which hopefully will rein in some of their worst impulses. While Jack Black's judgement may not always be best (see Exhibit #1: Saving Silverman), Gwyneth Paltrow doesn't typically pick total duds. (I'll forgive Hush since it was also pretty funny.) Color me cautiously optimistic...

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
The film just doesn't look funny to me, it looks mean.
Now K-Pax I'm looking forward to; that looks funny and uplifting. Anything with Kevin Spacey, really; very talented actor. Immensely so.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I liked Bounce. While Duets is certainly no high point (or a good movie), I didn't think it was awful. (Plus, that can be considered a special exception since her dad was directing. :))

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well it has 3 main actors that I enjoy (if you add Alexander) and I thought Black was funny in Silverman. I can see why people didn't like that film, but I still found he and Zahn funny in it.
I think this might be rather fun, I can see how the leads would have chemistry because Black can play the nice funny as well as the mean. Just take a look at him on old "Mr. Show" episodes or even some of his "nicer" moments in High Fidelity. He has the range to work a "romantic" comedy, if this will qualify as such.
I will risk it. Heck, if it's a dud then I will report it and save some of you like so many of you guys have done for me. :)
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on October 25, 2001 at 09:29 PM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
When I saw the trailer for Shallow Hal, It convinced me to see it.
I was laughing at the trailer and hopefully that is a good sign. Unless all the funny stuff was just in the trailer which I doubt.
Regards,
Ricky

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Shallow Hal". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Shallow Hal" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on November 09, 2001 at 06:31 PM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Did anybody else hear confussion from the audience, when the scene came up with the double date.
Where the 'fat' gwyenth and the hot babe were talking in the car.
Alot of people were confused about what happened.
------------------

Dave Cukina

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw it last night and it is a pretty good film, the scene with rosemary in the car with the nurse is easily understood, Hal sees people for what they really are and the nurse althought really hot has the personality of a corpse..what I find strange is why Hal didn't see Mauricio any differently?
Dave

Shawn C

Screenwriter
My wife and I saw the movie on Friday night. We thought it was a pretty good movie, but it's definately NOT like their previous movies. It's closer to a romantic comedy than a slapstick comedy like "Kingpin".
The movie makes you feel uncomfortable in several places, especially if you, yourself, are a little 'not skinny'. The Farrely's never seem to be cruel at all in the movie and all of the fat jokes are so over the top that you can't help but laugh at them.
Paltrow was really, really good. Jack Black wasn't playing his normal Jack Black character but his performance stood out.
If you are expecting a 'usual' Farrely movie, you might be disappointed. If you keep an open mind and are looking for something a little lighter, you will enjoy this movie.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Just to warn you, DO NOT go see this movie expecting it to be real funny. I was extremely disappointed with it as I was hoping to laugh my ass off.
On the other hand, it did have a good moral, but overall I didn't enjoy it too much!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
The funniest scenes were all used in the trailer, IMHO.
It isn't a typical Farrelly film in terms of guffaws, for sure. It does manage to make one uncomfortable about preconceived notions of body image. Paltrow does a nice job "selling" that she's not used to Hal's attentions and compliments - that she knows what she is and what she's not, and so she's uncertain about his affections.
Jason Alexander is in serious danger of always being typecast as George Costanza - this is another good example of that.
The movie drags at times and leaves some pretty big plot holes on occasion, but it's got much more of a message about humanity that I expected from the Farrellys.
[Edited last by Allen Hirsch on November 13, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks