What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Has anyone had any issues with losing image while using the component cables?
I've had my system for 3 months with no problem and the other day, I was losing picture. I figured, it's just the cables so I went back and got a new pair of component cables and I still have a problem. But, the weirdest part of this problem is that I tried the composite cables and everything is perfect.
Both sets of component cables were the Sony brand. Called customer service and I'm sending it back and they'll send me a new one if they don't find "neglect" to the machine.
The only thing I can think of is that the AV/Multi-Out is damaged...but if that were true, the composite cables shouldn't be able to work either.
The only times I've disconnected the cables from the system was to dust off the machine a bit on all sides. But, I've only maybe disconnected the cables from the machine three times since February.
This is a tad frustrating. I'm hoping Sony doesn't screw me over with this.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well did you talk nicely too it, be sure to feed it a health dose of movies, and read it a story or two before bed? If so then there should be no signs of neglect and you'll be fine. :D
Do you have multiple component inputs on your TV? Did you try changing to the other input? Hopefully it's not a display device issue as those tend to be expensive.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Chris,
I don't have multiple component inputs on my television(yes, I know I should've upgraded to a newer TV long ago but life sort of got in the way).
Again, I tried it again and using the composite cables, it works perfectly. I hooked up my A2 to the same component inputs all this weekend and no issues. But, using two different sets of component cables and the pictures goes in and out...more out than in. The sound is fine.
Essentially, this just makes me want to do a semi-upgrade to CRT HDTV(Samsung SlimFit), no more than 32 inches that has multiple inputs. I can't afford the HDTV I want but I can afford a better TV that has more inputs....
Hopefully Sony won't give me any crap once they inspect the thing.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
1080I is the correct output setting for someone like me with a 768P Panasonic Plasma correct? I thought I read something about 720P output and the PS3 not being kosher.
Any other setup tips for a PS3 owner? It will 99.9% be used for BR playback. I almost pulled the trigger on a Samsung but the BDJ 1.1 stuff scared me off.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mine does not unless I sprung for the DVI board.
Thru HDMI it's 720P only. I'll have to live with 720P until Sony gets their act together on the 720P output on the PS3.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
HELP!

I just download the latest update (1.7 I think). Everything went OK, but when I ran the update, my screen started flashing left and right and so on. It has been doing this for over half an hour. I can't get out of it. The power button does not function. Is this normal?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm not too surprised. However I will be surprised if we're still waiting by January. I would hope they could have it determined (either yes or no) by then.

The last rumor I saw for the v2.00 update included....
  • Users
    • You can now password-protect user accounts.
  • Settings
  • [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
  • [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
  • [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
  • [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
  • [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
  • [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
  • [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
  • [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
  • [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
  • The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
  • [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
  • [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].
[*]Photo
  • Additional slideshows have been added.
  • [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
  • Wallpaper feature has been added.
  • [Zoom] has been added as a feature.
[*]Music
  • Additional visualizations have been added.
  • CD information can now be entered.
  • Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
[*]Video
  • Files can now be played sequentially.
  • Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
  • You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.

*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
[*]Game
  • Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
  • XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.
[*]Network[*][RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.[*]Friends
  • You can now have multiple chat sessions.
  • You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].
[*]Other
  • Date & Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
  • File sorting has been changed.
  • [Help] has been added as a feature.
  • Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.

To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles
  • [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
  • Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still lacking the important updates for video: namely, 720p->1080i/p upconversion for games and 480p->1080i/p upconversion for movies. Plus there are no fixes for some of the deficiencies as a DVD player. The longer it takes for a fix for the upconversion deficiencies.......the more I think that there is no way to fix those problems. In my case, for games, that would suck because the PS3 would be the equivalent of a 600 dollar WII without the fancy controller. It will really piss me off if MGS4 comes out with native 720p and there is still no fix for the upconversion f*&%up.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't know that the above list was ever verified as being anything more than a hoax. It's been on AVS for a while.
There was also a rumor that upscaling would be available on the PS3 by the end of last week.
Needless to say that did not happen.
I'm encouraged there does seem to be legitimate word they're studying DTS-HD MA. Better than dismissing the idea altogether. It was suggested before decoding is likely possible, but not easy as far as designing the software.
For the money, I'm still happy with the PS3 as a blu-ray player compared with the "new" Panny which has now reached the same price, but still won't be able to do MA or handle Java 1.1.

Real Name
John Parry
The person who posted that update list confirmed that it was nothing to do with Sony within hours of releasing it. unfortunately, by that time it was all over the web!
It has been announced by Sony that an upscaling update will be coming but separately to any standard system updates.
There won't be any difficulties in Sony adding upscaling as it's been confirmed that there is an upscaling chip on board.
I can't yet post any links but visit (beyond3d/articles/Ripping off the veil: The mysterious PS3 hardware scaler exposed) to read about the scaler.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder which will happen first: The PS3 will do proper 720 -> 1080 conversion...or I buy a new TV which will accept and properly display both resolutions. I am still about a year away from a new set, but it's looking more and more like I'll have the set before I have a firmware update. :frowning:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm still hopeful that we'll have the conversion issue worked out before the end of the year. I just can't imagine that Sony would drag their feet too much longer on that update. If it's not there by Christmas then it'll be very difficult to convince me that it will never come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks