What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. Bizarre. I'm sure as the updates roll out we'll have whole threads at AVS about how to sync your PS3 and Pearl in 1080p24...
:D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My settings were the same as yours David. After a bit of comparing the difference I'm seeing on my 768P Plasma is nothing short of staggering. Upscaled DVD is slightly better but nothing earth shattering. Upscaling never really has "blown me away" like it does other folks.
Oh well, I bought this thing for BR playback and it hasn't let me down.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yep.

the resolution lost to "bobbing" deinterlacing is significant. Bypasing the 1080i -> 540p drop makes a HUGE difference with a 720p display. HUGE. I'm amazed every time I pop in a BD. It's like buying a new projector.

Eric F

Screenwriter
DaViD Boulet said:
540p drop makes a HUGE difference with a 720p display. HUGE. I'm amazed every time I pop in a BD. It's like buying a new projector.
On my 720p Samsung DLP I definitely notice the display is now rock-solid and no longer has that slight "jitter" that the PS3 would output before at 1080i.

Todd_N

Agent
Ok, I have read through all 13 pages of this thread and havent found the answer to a question I have so I will post here. I will be getting a PS3 shortly and am looking forward to the Blu-Ray experience. I have an old Pioneer Elite 710HD RPTV that I purchased in 2000 (1080i component only) and I am still very happy with it and do not plan on upgrading in the near future. I am however very interested in upgrading my reciever that I currently have (optical input only) in the near future to an HDMI receiver if I get the answer I am looking for to the following question:
Can the PS3 send the video signal via component and audio via HDMI? Is that a valid configuration? I would like to stick with my old Elite for a while longer but still experience the better audio options available on Blu-Ray.
Thanks,

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Todd_N said:
Ok, I have read through all 13 pages of this thread and havent found the answer to a question I have so I will post here. I will be getting a PS3 shortly and am looking forward to the Blu-Ray experience. I have an old Pioneer Elite 710HD RPTV that I purchased in 2000 (1080i component only) and I am still very happy with it and do not plan on upgrading in the near future. I am however very interested in upgrading my reciever that I currently have (optical input only) in the near future to an HDMI receiver if I get the answer I am looking for to the following question:
Can the PS3 send the video signal via component and audio via HDMI? Is that a valid configuration? I would like to stick with my old Elite for a while longer but still experience the better audio options available on Blu-Ray.
Thanks,
Yes. Or HDMI and optical.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Peter is correct. The configuration for the video output and the audio output are seperate so you can configure them however you wish.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Video expert Stacey Spears said that using RGB at "Full" remaps video values and causes banding. He recommends keeping it at "Limited."

I have to send my CRT RPTV RGB signals (sending it YCbCr causes incorrectable color decoding issues). Setting it at "Full" not only eliminates the clipping, but I don't see any banding on the grayscale ramp patterns, nor does there appear to be any remapping of values. Has anyone else found this to be true too?

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I wonder when Sony will be releasing a firmware upgrade for DTS-HD Master Audio..........
That would realy be nice to have since I will be buying a new receiver soon which has Dolby Tru-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That would realy be nice to have since I will be buying a new receiver soon which has Dolby Tru-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
Unless the player outputs its native bitstream then it won't do us any good. We're still limited by the decoder in the player. a 1.1 receiver would work just as well if they decide to give us DTS HD Master audio decoding from the PS3.

Real Name
John Parry
Sony do seem to be listening to what their customers want with the PS3 now, I imagine that this upgrade won't be the last to improve disc playback...hopefully!;)

Clutch

Agent
Real Name
Anthony
My only question remaining after reading some of these posts:

When's the price going down? LOL!!!

Shoot, at the price it stands at now, It's a tremendous deal considering a BluRay player is an easy 300-400 and doesn't let you play GT4! :~P

Another thing to add to my shopping list!

Adam_R

Second Unit
Clutch said:
My only question remaining after reading some of these posts:
When's the price going down? LOL!!!
Shoot, at the price it stands at now, It's a tremendous deal considering a BluRay player is an easy 300-400 and doesn't let you play GT4! :~P
Another thing to add to my shopping list!
You may see a $100 price drop to mirror the drop on Sony's stand alone player, but I doubt it.
Do you seriously think $600 is too much for a BluRay player with a 60GB Hard Drive, built in WiFi, BlueTooth, Mutli-Memory card Reader, MP3, AAC, Windows Media Audio, MPEG 1&2&4 video, Internet browser, video/voice chat client and the ability to run several flavors of Linux? Oh yeah, and it plays PS3 games too.
It's a techno-bargain IMHO. It's just a little software light at the moment.

Real Name
John Parry
Adam_R said:
You may see a $100 price drop to mirror the drop on Sony's stand alone player, but I doubt it.
Do you seriously think $600 is too much for a BluRay player with a 60GB Hard Drive, built in WiFi, BlueTooth, Mutli-Memory card Reader, MP3, AAC, Windows Media Audio, MPEG 1&2&4 video, Internet browser, video/voice chat client and the ability to run several flavors of Linux? Oh yeah, and it plays PS3 games too.
It's a techno-bargain IMHO. It's just a little software light at the moment.
Lol...that seems to be a VERY popular opinion at the moment!:)
I've bought all three consoles now and although the PS3 cost more than the other two together...I honestly feel that I got more for my money than I did with the other two for all the reasons you mention and more!!
That's also with the fact that I live in the UK and payed about $840 US for it...but hey, we're all rich or something here!!:laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Exactly.

The PS3 offers full audio decoding for Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD, HDMI 1.3, 1080p24 output for BD, has an incredibly fast load time, upscales DVDs beautifully, and has wireless web connetion so you don't need to run cables to your device to update the firmware. Not bad for $600.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
DaViD Boulet said:
Exactly.
The PS3 offers full audio decoding for Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD, HDMI 1.3, 1080p24 output for BD, has an incredibly fast load time, upscales DVDs beautifully, and has wireless web connetion so you don't need to run cables to your device to update the firmware. Not bad for $600.
I agree. It was $600 I really didn't have, but is proving to be a great investment I don't feel the least bit bad about. New players to supplant existing standalones seem to come out all the time making those, more expensive, units seem more destined to be throwaways (or bedroom or giveaway units) than the PS3 which keeps evolving.
And I know I'd be grinding my teeth at the load times of the standalones, which aren't going down in any great hurry, likely due to there only being so much processing power in those vs. this minisupercomputer called the PS3.
I far more frustrated as a Wii owner. Will a decent game (besides Zelda, which I've yet to tackle) ever come out, or will it always be Wii Sports? So far there have been lesst han rave reviews about the control system's application to conventional fare.

Real Name
John Parry
Grant H said:
I far more frustrated as a Wii owner. Will a decent game (besides Zelda, which I've yet to tackle) ever come out, or will it always be Wii Sports? So far there have been lesst han rave reviews about the control system's application to conventional fare.
I love REALLY my Wii...but why do I feel it is so overpriced when I feel my PS3 was good value for money?

Clutch

Agent
Real Name
Anthony
DaViD Boulet said:
Exactly.
No, I don't think it's a bad deal for the money. I def agree they are SERIOUSLY lacking in the games dept. but overall it's a bargin. I'm just a cheap-ass who currently is living out of his car and really doesn't have his priorities straight.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

JK! I know what I need to be doing, but If I could manage to wait for it to go down, it would be even better. I know that once I do buy it, the price will drop nicely within a month. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks