What's new

* * * Official MTV Video Music Awards Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I'm only half watching but...
(1) Dumb opening song with Jamie. Justs didnt work, made me leave the room
(2) Nice tribute to Aaliyah.
(3) Kid Rock is with Pamel Anderson!? When did that happen, and...why?
JQ

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
michael jackson...holy shit that was the biggest surprise...when's his new album coming out...what about the single i keep hearing about?....standing ovation indeed....
icon14.gif

------------------
signature.jpg
[email protected]

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I believe Michael Jackson's new album comes out like next tuesday.. his new single "You Rock My World" is in heavy rotation locally.. it's, uh, well.. nothing really special. It's pretty standard pop fair. I think a lot of people were rooting for a "Thriller" type return; this single isn't quite that, but we haven't seen the video yet, which could be a different story (the song "Scream" wasn't really very good, but the video was incredible to look at)
CW

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Chuck,
Lord of the Rings said:
I read that they were engaged...don't quote me on that though.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
The amusing technical gaffe when U2 was presented with the Video Vanguard Award. I wondered why they would cut to commercial right before the band was to perform...turns out there was a slight communication problem. Bono made a cute joke about it: "Guess MTV forgot to pay their electricty bill.
Well, they had to show the Lord of the Rings trailer. :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Lucky for me I was finishing up installing my new kitchen cabinets and only caught the end. I did get to see Ms. Spears performance.
yum.gif

My wife had to keep wiping the drool from the corner of my mouth. If only I could be that twerp from N'Suck for one day.
biggrin.gif

She sure knows how to shake that fine ass of hers.
wink.gif

-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on September 07, 2001 at 07:41 AM]

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else think that the sound mix was weird? I was watching on DirecTV, and it sounded hollow. My fiance actually turned to me and said "This just doesn't sound right. There's no midrange." (she's a keeper!). I thought that the whole show was rather flat. I turned it off after watching the dancers struggle to get Missy Eliot out of her cable harness.
-Max

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One thing is for certain, (I am not a Spears fan) but she lipsynched the performance.. and did a pretty poor job of it. I made this criticism last year - which in the end was backed up after early protests by her camp; but this year it was a worse "fake job" then before.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
"I missed it, what was Britney wearing ? (or not wearing )"
check out
Link Removed
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The show was really unprofessional and badly rehearsed. They should have stayed at Radio City Music Hall. Jamie Foxx wasn't a good host and his comedy was too "black" in the whole "yo homie" sense. He made jokes that weren't funny about things unrelated to music. The performances were plenty and the awards few, which made it more of a showcase than an award show. I was confused as to what was going on at some points (like Missy Elliot's performance with all the people running around and coming on stage). And the opening was stupid, though it was funny for the things I understood.
The awards went to all the wrong people. Fatboy Slim should have gotten video of the year. I'll take Chris Walken dancing over clown make-up and a bad song anyday because the video is so much better.
Britney's performance was weird. I think the song sounded very non-Britney, but its actually one of her favorite pieces (she said this on MTV Diary). I think the whole performance by her was pretty good, other than the song sucking and the lip-synching.
*N'Sync may not have music I like, but I will admit that they can entertain. Their whole shindig was neat, and having Michael Jackson was cool, even though Michael was a little fat and looked like crap (crap with a little upturned nose).
Overall, this was probably the worst VMAs ever. The movie awards were better. MTV sucks in general because they are too much about what the fans want and not enough about what good music really is. I'm happy that Alicia Keys (a talented performer) got an award.

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
RE: Britney's Performance...
If you get to check it out again listen closely...I caught the live version and i got mad that it looked so fake...but then i wanted to hear the song the second time around so i closed my eyes and listened to it...the thing I realized is...there aren't any cheering for britney or clapping...it is just the song...
I look at the people around her...all are excited and jumping and clapping...Why would we hear all this yelling for everyone else live and not for britney? Well I think MTV did something to the broadcast to only have her single heard...and that is why her lips are out of sync to it. Because there is no audience in that song just the full single...
------------------
"I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
"You can put it anywhere"
"Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

Ike

Screenwriter
Official highlight for me:
Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. It felt like a loss with no scathing celeb skewering ala Chris Rock, but his presence, along with his whole act, made me laugh. You know it's great when he makes Carson Daly cover his face.
But, the show sucked. And why does everybody keep saying the Michael Jackson thing was a total secret? Uh-they said he was going to be on on Extra (or one of those entertainment type shows), for Christ's sake. You hear everybody talking about how much of a secret they'd kept it, but it was out on national TV the day before.
The Fatboy Slim video was the most amusing mainstream video of the year-yet it loss to the suck fest that was "Lady Marmalade" with it's fashions by Fredrick's of Hollywood and it's lyrics ("I'm going to keep playing these cats out like Atari") by a third grader. Hmmm...I wonder if MTV could have been tipped in their decision? Of course not. MTV would never sell out.
Ways to Improve the Show:
1.No matter how many celebrities bitch about their feelings being hurt, get Chris Rock back.
2. Don't reward crappy videos.
3. Don't ask non-comedians to tell jokes.
4. Quit the 2 week build up with past highlights, and a bar full of Pop Up Video style facts over the nominees.
5. Do not ever let the Wayans host any award show ever again!
* And special nod goes to the D!
[Edited last by Ike on September 08, 2001 at 03:36 AM]

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I will admit that, as a long time Tenacious D fan, that moment for me was one of the few good ones.. realistically, out of the 3 hour, 26 minute show, about 20 minutes were honestly entertaining.
CW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks